Metal-Rules.com review

Eden's Fall

METAL
Dec 9, 2005
www.edensfall.com
Here is a review from www.metal-rules.com:

http://www.metal-rules.com/review/viewreview.php?band=Eden%B4s%20Fall&album=HARMONY%20OF%20LIES

Eden´s Fall - HARMONY OF LIES

March 2006
Released: 2005, Eden´s Fall / Nothingheart Records
Rating: 4.5/5
Reviewer: Luxi Lahtinen

Chicago must be a great city to live. I mean, especially when it comes to metal music (hails to Sindrome, too!). Eden´s Fall´s name has appeared on many different occasions, but for some strange reason, I have never bothered to check them out - don´t know why? It was when the band´s drummer Ray contacted me about 2-3 months ago for the first time and linked me up the first song ("Blur the Lines") off HARMONY OF LIES, I was like: "Oh man, these guys sound fuckin´ fabulous... damn, what have I been missing for all these months?!".

Eden´s Fall plays something what I could call Power-Thrash, reminding me pretty strongly of a technical side of Nevermore, added with some a touch of Overkill - and even with some hints from the Bay Area thrashers Forbidden (f.ex. listen to those familiar sounding leads in "Blur the Lines"). And you cannot completely avoid some comparisons to Iced Earth´s stuff either; "Planet Hate" has a fair load of Iced Earth -sounding elements in it which tends to bring Iced Earth more often than just occasionally to your mind. It all sounds familiar somehow, but at the same time you just tend to block all those comparisons outside of Eden´s Fall, just wanting to enjoy their music the best possible way you can. Each of their 9 songs on HARMONY OF LIES has been build up around heavy, sharp and ear-catching riff - and rhythm changes (check out a song called "We Betray" for example), a great lead work and an absolutely strong vocal performance of John Barr. In fact, whether it could be considered sort of a coincidence or not, but at times John manages to sound a lot like Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth from Overkill. His voice is very similar to Bobby´s anyway, and I guess I´m not the first one to spit it out.

I have no intention to mention any so-called ´stand-out tracks´ off HARMONY OF LIES as I like all of them equally. There are no fillers on HARMONY OF LIES at all, so sincerely hats off for these fellows for coming up this strong material for their debut album already.

The only negative point about the CD is that the lyrics could have been presented a bit better in the CD -booklet than they are there. Now they are just impossible to follow.

I can only see Eden´s Fall going towards better things and far better times in the future. Wouldn´t wonder a bit if they were snapped by some major label (Metal Blade, Century Media, etc.) in the coming months. Eden´s Fall is worth of a pot of gold.

wildfyr said:
^^ Nice review! I don't know why this reviewer things John sounds like Blitz though. He reminds me more of Phil from Sacred Reich.
And both are killer compliments!!! But I agree, I don't think I sound that much like him but there has been a few reviews I've been compared to Blitz. Not a bad thing so I can live with it. :Spin: