Metalfest 98?

wankerness

Dec 3, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
The current Agalloch/Gathering/You Guys tour came up on the Opeth mailing list, and one of the replies to the news that you were added was this:

"oh no not novembers doom! I thought they were no more! I saw them in
98 at the metalfest, it was kind of a joke band i thought, the drums and a
lot of the music was pre-recorded, it was like two guys playing guitar. lol"

What was the story here? Did you used to not have a live drummer? Who was in the band? Or is this guy just thinking of the wrong band?

They're thinking of my band, November's Loom. We got on the bill due to knitting sweaters for everyone on the promoter's list. What happened was our drummer met a girl, had an epiphany and left to perform missionary work in Zaire one day before the gig. This caused our bassoon, washboard, flute, maracas, trumpet, saxophonist, second chair violinist, oboe, and even our stylist to quit. Therefore, I learned to play guitar in twelve hours and we proceeded to play over an unmixed version of our first EP.

kleo706 said:
They're thinking of my band, November's Loom. We got on the bill due to knitting sweaters for everyone on the promoter's list. What happened was our drummer met a girl, had an epiphany and left to perform missionary work in Zaire one day before the gig. This caused our bassoon, washboard, flute, maracas, trumpet, saxophonist, second chair violinist, oboe, and even our stylist to quit. Therefore, I learned to play guitar in twelve hours and we proceeded to play over an unmixed version of our first EP.
What kinds of songs did you play? The ALL AROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH THE MONKEY CHASED THE WEASEL one?

wankerness said:
The current Agalloch/Gathering/You Guys tour came up on the Opeth mailing list, and one of the replies to the news that you were added was this:

"oh no not novembers doom! I thought they were no more! I saw them in
98 at the metalfest, it was kind of a joke band i thought, the drums and a
lot of the music was pre-recorded, it was like two guys playing guitar. lol"

What was the story here? Did you used to not have a live drummer? Who was in the band? Or is this guy just thinking of the wrong band?

If you could be so kind as to reply to that thread in the mailing list, to let them know (and everyone who reads it) they have us mixed up with another band. The band they are speaking of, is/was Long Winters Stare, who did have Clint and Greg playing guitars to pre-recorded music. They went on just before us, so this may be the mistake. This statement is VERY wrong, and should be cleared up. We have ALWAYS been a full band.

Novembers Paul said:
If you could be so kind as to reply to that thread in the mailing list, to let them know (and everyone who reads it) they have us mixed up with another band. The band they are speaking of, is/was Long Winters Stare, who did have Clint and Greg playing guitars to pre-recorded music. They went on just before us, so this may be the mistake. This statement is VERY wrong, and should be cleared up. We have ALWAYS been a full band.

Never mind, I found it and took care of it myself. Thanks for the info!

kleo706 said:
You were probably just drunk.
At least i post sober.

i thought the first ND metalfest show was 1999, when joe joined, and then we played that gig at Subterranean the day after (w/LWS, Grey Skies Fallen, Somnus, Wickerman)? Then in 2000 we played the main stage in milwaukee and then played riley's the day after because we played almost the entire knowing record we had just finished basically to the other bands that played and like 3 paying people, right?

TheNewChupe said:
At least i post sober.

i thought the first ND metalfest show was 1999, when joe joined, and then we played that gig at Subterranean the day after (w/LWS, Grey Skies Fallen, Somnus, Wickerman)? Then in 2000 we played the main stage in milwaukee and then played riley's the day after because we played almost the entire knowing record we had just finished basically to the other bands that played and like 3 paying people, right?

OK, now you've got me thinking about this...

As far as I remember, (and a little Google research) 2000 was our first time at metalfest, and we played on the relapse stage. This was the year Katatonia, Opeth, and Anathema played here for the first time. I remener Clint saying "We'd like to thank Anathema for warming up the crowd for us". Subterranean the day after with LWS, Grey Skies Fallen, Somnus, & Wickerman. Metalfest 2001 we played the main Stage, and then we played Reileys the Sunday after with LWS, Grey Skies Fallen, and Somnus. 2002 we played the Relapse stage again, but it was in the side room, and we were sandwiched between Decapitated and The Chasm. 2003 we decided not to play.

I went up to the fest in 1999 on Friday with Chuck and Mary only to see The Gathering (who played Chicago with Kings X a few days before.)

Here's a list of 1999 Metalfest bands. haha! (Gotta love Google)

Friday, July 30
[Show starts @ 4pm]
And Here I Lie, Anonymus, Bongzilla, C4, Candiria, Centurian, Chaos Theory, Choke, Cyanosis, Deaden, Death of Millions, Deathkids, Devourment, Dillinger Escape Plan, Disfigured, Divine Rapture, E Town Concrete, Earth Crisis, Ember, Epoch of Unlight, Eternal Suffering, Fall, Fleshgrind, Flotsam & Jetsam, Fornever, From the Depths, The Gathering, Immortal Cringe, Impaler, In Flames, Indecision, The Infamous, Jungle Rot, Krisiun, Lungbrush, Malignancy, Mandril, Marduk, Mental Home, The Misfits, Neurosis, Noctuary, October Thorns, Opaque, Orgy with Pigs, Punisher, Pyrexia, Reign of Terror, St. Madness, Shere Khan, Skinlab, Soilent Green, Solus, Summon, Threat Generator, Today Is the Day, Tru Smoke Diezel, 21st Century Sin, Twin Obscenity Vesperian Sorrow, Waco Jesus, Wykked Witch, Zombification.

Saturday, July 31
Anal Blast, Angra, Anguish In Exile, Anoxia, At Any Cost, Atrocity, Autumn's Bleeding, Averse Sefira, Benumb, Black Ocean Drowning, Bloodline 4:20, Bludgeon To Death, Broken Face, Burial, Cephalic Carnage, Chasm, Coffin Texts, Cold Colours, Cradle of Filth, Criminal, Dark Days, Dead by Morning, Dead Industry, December, Defiled, Disarray, Disgourge, Dying Breed, Dying Fetus, Dysphoria, Engrave, Entranced, Exhumed, Factory 81, Forcefed, Forty Days Rain, Gorguts, Grey Skies Fallen, Ground Zero, Hinge, Immolation, Incarrion, Infusion, Internal Bleeding, Jesus Rides A Riksha, Lead, Lividity, Living Sacrifice, Lorde of All Desires, Mactatus, Midian, Monstrosity, Morgion, Mortician, Motive, Myself Am Hell, Nasum, Nile, Pessimist, Pissing Razors, Profane, Rare Form, Rogue, Rotting, Rotting Christ, Sadistic Intent, Satyricon, Scapegoat, Scrape, Shattered Realm, Shutdown, Sinister, Solitude Aeturnus, Somnus, Step Kings, Stretcher, Strychnine, Sufference, Too Many Gods, Torso, Usurper, Vertical After, Vile, Vore, Witchmoon, Withered Earth, Wolf Spider, Zandelle.

Plus the Social Chaos Tour - Anti-Heros, The Business, Chelsea, D.O.A., D.R.I., Gang Green, L.E.S. Stitches, Murphy's Law, Oneway System, D.H. Pligro of the Dead Kennedys, Sloppy Seconds, TSOL, UK Subs, The Vibrators, Vice Squad.

yeah, you're right! i was thinking joe played at metalfest with us in 99, but i do know those bands (GSF, LWS, Somnus, and Wickerman) came down after metalfest in 99 and played with us at subterranean (even though we didn't play metalfest) and that was joe's first gig with ND. and then in 2000, ND played milwaukee and did the show the next day where we played most of the knowing to like 3 people- i remember that because the record wasn't released yet.

i got confused. i think i still have pics from that 99 subterranean show- and i went to metalfest 99, so i guess that's why i thought we played. but yeah, that was totally the opeth/katatonia yr. my memory sucks.

old-man.jpg

I got yer Ginkoba right here, sonny.