New Fan - Question for All (Including band members)

I think each Novembers Doom album is masterpiece in it's own way, there aren't bad albums
there are only good and better ones. I listen to this band for four years and still my favorite is
"To welcome the fade" - combination of very balanced sound and tempo + great lyrics + amazing growl and clean vocal parts.

I might not be as fanatical about them as Mike is, but I'm a pretty serious Maiden and Priest fan myself.

He aint lyin! I've seen him pick up a bass and throw down some Phantom of the Opera! Dude's got some chops.

(And he played it with his fingers too!)

LOL thanks Mike, though I don't think my chops were very clean! I haven't played bass in several years now and I was never more than what I'd call "adequate". I guess part of the fun of playing in ND is that it's almost like mid-way between bass and guitar, I can get some of those cool lower tones and lines because of the baritone guitars but still be able to solo and play chords, etc.

Sorry I'm still in NAMM mode, ready to expouse more of the virtues of playing baritone guitars, LOL.

I first saw Maiden at ChicagoFest when I was bout 9 years old, I think that was around 1982? Really made an impression. The first "true" metal t-shirt I ever owned (not couting Kiss, Cheap Trick, etc.) was "The Trooper" shirt. All together I think I've seen Maiden live around 9 times or so.

As for Priest, "Unleashed In The East" will forever be in my top ten favorite albums. Dave Murray from IM and Glenn Tipton from JP are huge influences on me.

Sorry for continuing to derail this thread!

Maiden was my first concert.
1985 @ Poplar Creek, with ACCEPT opening.

Larry - My story is similar to you. KISS and Cheap Trick were my first exposures to hard rock, thanks to my older brother's copies of ALIVE II and LIVE AT BUDAKKAN.

While discussing Maiden in this thread might seem like derailing, I think it does warrant the statement that Maiden in some way or another has influenced EVERY band in metal.....in some way...............

You MUST go see Priest live at least once.
I always would side with Maiden in the never ending Maiden VS Priest debate.
Over the past couple years, as I have dove deeper into Priest's catalog, I have realized that they have many undiscovered gems!

As far as the Blaze / Ripper albums go, here is my assessment:
RIPPER:
1) As a whole, Demolitoin and Jugulator can be avoided
2) Pick up LIVE MELTDOWN! It is essential. Ripper KILLS on the classics!

BLAZE:
1) The X Factor is a MUST! It's darker than your standard Maiden album, but damn are there some amazing tracks.....
2) Virtual XI - Not essential, but worth it for THE CLANSMAN alone.

Maybe we need a separate Maiden / Priest thread, like we did with KISS!!!

Continuing the derailment just a little more...

I've seen Priest once, on the tour they did a few years ago with Anthrax. One of the best shows I've ever seen! As for the proper albums...I own the entire Halford-era Priest. I had the 2 live albums with Ripper..but sold them off because, well, he's not Halford. I own far, far less Maiden. 3 studio albums, 2 live CD's..and the box set. So you can pretty much tell where my allegiance lies.

As big of a Maiden fan as I am, I STILL have never managed to see them live. There's always something that interferes. Saw Priest once a long time ago - they were crazy awesome! The vocals were so loud, Halford almost ruptured an eardrum once or twice...I can't remember anything else about the show, cuz I passed out...:ill: