Metallica news

I never said having long hair=true Metal.I'm suprised some of you are mistnterpreting that comment of me being the only long hair in a restraunt full of people wearing trendy Metallica shirts.That's where the "nerd" part came in.Hey, I'm a nerd!But those people were like zombies!It was like everyone dressed as the same Star Wars character at a Star Wars convention.I just pointed out a fact of how different things are now.
It's clear to me those of you posting here who like Metallica are also Metalheads wich I all ready knew otherwise why would you be posting on an Iron Maiden fan board?So my references to "Most Metallica fans" don't mean any of YOU GUYS,you're excluded clear?

Danny rctv said:
I never said having long hair=true Metal.I'm suprised some of you are mistnterpreting that comment of me being the only long hair in a restraunt full of people wearing trendy Metallica shirts.That's where the "nerd" part came in.Hey, I'm a nerd!But those people were like zombies!It was like everyone dressed as the same Star Wars character at a Star Wars convention.I just pointed out a fact of how different things are now.
It's clear to me those of you posting here who like Metallica are also Metalheads wich I all ready knew otherwise why would you be posting on an Iron Maiden fan board?So my references to "Most Metallica fans" don't mean any of YOU GUYS,you're excluded clear?

No that's bollocks. "Most Metallica fans" - wtf is that? I'd like you to explain how you know exactly what each and every Metallica fan is like, their musical preferences are etc to be able to pigeon hole them into being a "trendy" fan.

Like many other people, I got into Metallica via Enter Sandman and The Black Album - does that make me a "trendy" Metallica fan??? I'm sorry but being born in 1984, the same year that Ride The Lightning came out, kinda made me a bit late to get into Metallica until the 90's.

I kinda' like Metallica myself, I remember when Fade to Black came out; I gained a new respect for the guys lyrical soloing style; prior to that I didn't really know what they were really about, assumed they just banged their heads, but this friend of mine introduced me to their music.

RoboCaster said:
I kinda' like Metallica myself, I remember when Fade to Black came out; I gained a new respect for the guys lyrical soloing style; prior to that I didn't really know what they were really about, assumed they just banged their heads, but this friend of mine introduced me to their music.

That's my favourite Metallica song. I love it so much. I remember before I saw them in Glasgow, I was hoping for months that they would play that song and then when they started playing it, I was just so overwhelmed that they were playing my favourite song I just burst into tears!!
loco.gif
I felt kinda stupid but I couldn't help it!!!
glotz.gif

Just gotta chime in here...
I have liked Metallica since 1985, although I cooled off on them in the Load/Reload period. During that time... I just didn't buy their records & found other bands I liked... no need to bitch at 'em for trying new sounds. It would be boring if they were on the "Kill/Ride/Master Version 12.0"...

Just think... if they didn't try to evolve and create new sounds, then people would be all over them for "recycling their sound", "running out of ideas", "not being original," etc. etc. So which is worse?

Like 'em or hate 'em now = your opinion... my opinion is that Metallica are a talented band that have made great music through the years, and I will continue to support them if I like what I hear.

One really cool thing-- it's neat to see how many people have made such a passionate connection with Met's music at some point in their lives... if we all didn't really care about Metallica & their music would it really be such a fiery topic?

I like music.

I like Metallica.

I like St. Anger!

I like the Some Kind of Monster film.

I am a (credit) card carrying member of the record buying public that buys the product I like. I hope I contribute to paying the artist (and record co. employees) salaries.
AND... I have short hair.

WHEEEE!:headbang:

CrankYanker said:
Just gotta chime in here...
I have liked Metallica since 1985, although I cooled off on them in the Load/Reload period. During that time... I just didn't buy their records & found other bands I liked... no need to bitch at 'em for trying new sounds. It would be boring if they were on the "Kill/Ride/Master Version 12.0"...

Just think... if they didn't try to evolve and create new sounds, then people would be all over them for "recycling their sound", "running out of ideas", "not being original," etc. etc. So which is worse?

Like 'em or hate 'em now = your opinion... my opinion is that Metallica are a talented band that have made great music through the years, and I will continue to support them if I like what I hear.

One really cool thing-- it's neat to see how many people have made such a passionate connection with Met's music at some point in their lives... if we all didn't really care about Metallica & their music would it really be such a fiery topic?

I like music.

I like Metallica.

I like St. Anger!

I like the Some Kind of Monster film.

I am a (credit) card carrying member of the record buying public that buys the product I like. I hope I contribute to paying the artist (and record co. employees) salaries.
AND... I have short hair.

WHEEEE!:headbang:

I love you!!!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Metallicat180 said:
No that's bollocks. "Most Metallica fans" - wtf is that? I'd like you to explain how you know exactly what each and every Metallica fan is like, their musical preferences are etc to be able to pigeon hole them into being a "trendy" fan.
Like many other people, I got into Metallica via Enter Sandman and The Black Album - does that make me a "trendy" Metallica fan??? I'm sorry but being born in 1984, the same year that Ride The Lightning came out, kinda made me a bit late to get into Metallica until the 90's.

Well you said it right there.I've experieneced first hand the whole change and evolution.They officially became trendy when MOP was released.All these Johnny come latelys thought it was their debut.Hell these people think all the songs on Garage inc. are originals!They don't know what "cover song" means.I may be generalizing the "Most Metallica Fans" thing but I think it's pretty accurate (particularly in America) I've met many different people at all the Metallica shows I went to from '85-96 and it's vastly different how unmetal the audience has become and how far removed the band has come from their roots.
You know what's funny?When I went to my first Metallica show in March of '85,Iron Maiden played the day after(I went to that show too) Iron Maiden was really trendy & perhaps the biggest arena Metal band in the world at that time.I was the only Metallica fan in my High School.No One knew who they were.The week of the 2 shows EVERYONE was coming up to me going "You goin' to Maiden dude?"No one asked about Metallica who were playing a club.I'd even say "I'm going to Metallica also." and people were like "What?"I was proud I was into the band no one knew who one day were going to dominate the world.When "Kill 'em all" came out & changed my life.That was the direction I'd been waiting for bands like Preist & Maiden to go into.As fast & as heavy as it could get.I used to brag how Metallica were so heavy they made Iron Maiden look like Cultue Club!I considerd Iron Maiden to be too mellow.All though I was still a fan,but after discovering the thrash metal underground I wasn't listening to them as much and became very anti commercial.
Now it's the other way around!Today Iron Maiden is the alternative.I actually now appreciate their music more than I ever have.I suggest going to a Maiden show today & go to a Metallica show today & campare how different the 2 audiences are. I'm sure Metallica's will be much bigger but it definantly wont be as Metal as what you'd get at a Maiden show.Steve Harris & Bruce Dickinson won't french kiss each other either! :loco:

Danny rctv said:
Now it's the other way around!Today Iron Maiden is the alternative.I actaully now appreciate their music more than I ever have.I suggest going to a Maiden show today & got o a Metallica show today & campare how different the 2 audiences are. I'm sure Metallica's will be much bigger but it definantly the crowd wont be as Metal as what you'd get at a Maiden show.Steve Harris & Bruce Dickinson won't french kiss each other either! :loco:

Very true. A Maiden audience is filled with pasionate Metal fans. Metallica shows are filled mainly with mainstream america music fans. There is nothing like being at an Iron Maiden show its fucking amzing. I can honestly say I have seen every Maiden performance since 1988 anywhere within 200 miles of Southern California. Even when Maiden was 'trendy' as you say, they audience was still a Metal crowd and they played with Metal bands. Metallica plays shows with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit... thats just fucking wrong I don't care what spin you try and put on it. If Iron Maiden has a tribute to them and Avril Laveigne (spelling?), Shakira and Pink are the performers I will kill myself!

Danny rctv said:
Well you said it right there.I've experieneced first hand the whole change and evolution.They officially became trendy when MOP was released.All these Johnny come latelys thought it was their debut.Hell these people think all the songs on Garage inc. are originals!They don't know what "cover song" means.I may be generalizing the "Most Metallica Fans" thing but I think it's pretty accurate (particularly in America) I've met many different people at all the Metallica shows I went to from '85-96 and it's vastly different how unmetal the audience has become and how far removed the band has come from their roots.
You know what's funny?When I went to my first Metallica show in March of '85,Iron Maiden played the day after(I went to that show too) Iron Maiden was really trendy & perhaps the biggest arena Metal band in the world at that time.I was the only Metallica fan in my High School.No One knew who they were.The week of the 2 shows EVERYONE was coming up to me going "You goin' to Maiden dude?"No one asked about Metallica who were playing a club.I'd even say "I'm going to Metallica also." and people were like "What?"I was proud I was into the band no one knew who one day were going to dominate the world.When "Kill 'em all" came out & changed my life.That was the direction I'd been waiting for bands like Preist & Maiden to go into.As fast & as heavy as it could get.I used to brag how Metallica were so heavy they made Iron Maiden look like Cultue Club!I considerd Iron Maiden to be too mellow.All though I was still a fan,but after discovering the thrash metal underground I wasn't listening to them as much and became very anti commercial.
Now it's the other way around!Today Iron Maiden is the alternative.I actually now appreciate their music more than I ever have.I suggest going to a Maiden show today & go to a Metallica show today & campare how different the 2 audiences are. I'm sure Metallica's will be much bigger but it definantly wont be as Metal as what you'd get at a Maiden show.Steve Harris & Bruce Dickinson won't french kiss each other either! :loco:

Just cos you were listening to the band when no-one else had heard of them DOES NOT make you a better or more hardcore fan than me. It's pathetic of you to think so. "Old school" fans that think they are better than the newer fans are really, really sad people.

And what Lars and Kirk do in their spare time has fuck all to do with the music, so what's your point there?

As a small boy I listened to country because that's what my dad listened to. I didn't know there was anything else. I did eventually find the local rock station, but it was mostly pop rock. Metal was something that just wasn't prominent in my area. Through some goth people (yes, imagine goth's in the mid to late 80's in central Ks) I was introduced to punk. My first intoduction to Metallica was from a kid that started going to my school around '88. He came to school with a MOP patch on the back of his jean jacket. I loved it the second he played some for me. I didn't even hear Metallica on the radio untill the summer of '90 when the local college radio took over the easy listening station late at night. I still remember that the song was "Harvester of Sorrow". It was a monumental occasion for me! Metal on the radio!

Music is a powerful thing. Everyone's experience with it is unique and their own. Music can be made for hundreds of different reasons, and people gravitate to what they like and identify with. Some are dead serious about it, some are not. Either way, its going to make a profound impact on someones life. In essence, music is art, whether some people want to admit it or not. And music changes all the time, much to the dismay of their fans.Amy Grant was shunned by the religious community for changing to the pop genre. Kiss made what I have heard was an absolutly terrible experimental album, and they nearly killed themselves because of it. Ice T went from rap to punk metal. The Beastie Boys' very first (I think) album was punk. Whitey Ford was once known as Everlast. Metallica is no longer thrash metal. Megadeth isn't as agnst filled as it used to be. Led Zepplin has changed up so much I don't dare list it all here. Art is everchanging, and it doesn't care what any of us think. Its evolution. I think that those of us who have learned in one way or another to play music may understand this better. If you pick up the guitar, its going to be because you want to learn a particular style. Along the way something is going to catch your attention, and you are going to learn that. It will all come out in your own music eventually. Its inevitable. I have never once heard my wife or freinds say that I suck because I don't play certain songs I used to. They respect the fact that I have grown in that way.

I have a suggestion; Instead of ridiculing the people you meet that have no knowledge of other old school or lesser known bands, why not tell them about it? Enlighten them. I have spent hours hanging out with my cousin who is into new metal, going through my old tapes and lp's so he can hear where all that stuff he likes came from. Still can't get him into Maiden though. I even bought him a ticket to come with me when the Maidens played the Tempe Music Fest. He was right up there on the barricade rockin out just as hard as anyone. Afterwards I asked him if he was a Maiden fan now, to which he replied "meh, kinda". Lol, on second thought maybe there is a problem with the new kids.......but its his choice, and I'm not going to fault or belittle him for it. I did my part in offering it to him and thats all I can do.

As far as Blondie goes......anyone who can change sides suddenly and without warning probably weren't getting the attention they thought wanted in the first place. I don't know that I have ever heard of any Blondie songs prior to Heart of Glass, so maybe they succeeded in their goals.

Just cos you were listening to the band when no-one else had heard of them DOES NOT make you a better or more hardcore fan than me.
I never said I was a better or bigger fan than you.Where did I say that?I'm an ex-fan so you're a bigger fan than me.
And what Lars & Kirk do in their spare time has fuck all to do with the music,so what's your point there?
That Steve & Bruce won't!:lol: Here's a story for you.Back in late '84 Mercyful Fate played their first ever show in S.F.James & Lar$ made an appearance on stage for the song "Corpse with out a Soul".They were really drunk,Lar$ actually played guitar & fell on his ass!Anyways later at the hotel after party, Lar$ & King Diamond were discovered hanging out in a room together NAKED.I don't know the exact details of what they were doing but I did hear it from a credible eye witness.It was probably nothing but that sounds shocking on paper doesn't it?

Instead of ridiculing the people you meet that have no knowledge of other old school or lesser known bands,why not tell them about it?Enlighten them.
I do that all the time and I've been doing it on this whole thread.It's my specialty to enlighten young kids about the good old days.If you pay attention to my posts I'm not ridiculing anyone here just stating facts & my opinions.
Metallicat180:you may think I'm kind of a jerk right now about my comments on your favorite band but don't take it personally.I'm still new on this board so in time you'll learn when we talk on other threads,I'm not such a bad guy!
You know what?I actually like Blondie!I didn't like them back in their hey day but with maturity I've grown to apreciate their tunes.They did start out in the NYC punk scene but that was also with the likes of the Talking Heads,New York Dolls,The Ramones and the Patty Smith group,All went on to different degrees of commercial success.
The truth about "Selling out" is it's a no win situation for bands,If they stick with a signature formula sound(wich is my preference) they get criticized for not evolving or
progressing.If they change their style or try a new sound they get accused of selling out so it's a double edged sword.
I've always liked bands like Slayer,Maiden,& even AC/DC for sticking to their guns & being what they've always been but some might accuse them of being too repetetive in their direction.
A band I hate more than Metallica who I think really wimped out is Van Halen.They went from being so heavy & kick ass to this lighteight keyboard oriented very commercial pop music.Not to say they don't have talent & can't right good songs but that's aband I've lawys hated for the drastic change in musical direction & NO ONE gives them shit like they do Metallica or even KISS at their low point.So if it's any consolation I'll take Nu Metallica over post Fair Warning Van Halen any day!