Metallica on MTV ICON

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
During 24, I was flicking over to see the show. Most of it seemed like 'filler' segments showing old footage of Metallica in their yesteryears.

Sum41 sounded terrible - I caught a few seconds of For Whom the Bell Tolls. Er....doesn't the bass player know that he needs to distort his bass and run it through a wah-peddle for the signature intro?

Caught a few seconds of Avril Lavigne doing Fuel. Surprsingly better than I thought it would be to be honest. Her backing band played it pretty tight, and she sounded like a young girl singing it. I mean, no pretences there. (Although she can't do the DIO fingers - she still sticks her thumb out instead of in, heh).

Korn doing One was disasterous. They stopped at the solo (because they can't play it obviously), and the lead singer - forget his name - has put on about 30lb. Get on a treadmill you fat fuck. The bass player was doing some kind of hip hop dance move whilst slapping the bass. Very wigga like.

Limp Biscuit did Sanitarium (Welcome Home). Oh man....they threw in a slight dancde beat to it, and the bass player did the same thing as the Korn bass player. Fred Durst shouted out the lyrics as opposed to sing them. They tried to make it heavy, I guess it wasn't as bad as Sum 41 or Korn (amazingly enough).

(By the way, for every song, Lars and James were nodding along like it was the greatest thing in the world. I guess it is an ego-boost to hear someone else play your songs on TV, and they got caught in the moment, but the covers were so bad, I'm sure the band had to overcompensate and pretend to really 'dig' it).

And then we got Metallica on stage. I'm sorry but Rob Truillo is trying to look like a nu-metal mallrat with his bass hung to the floor. I miss Newsted already, but there is no denying that Rob is a fantastic bass player. The other guys looked old. Really old and haggard. James Hetfield has aged since his rehab exit, Kirk Hammet has some growth/wart on his left cheek, and Lars looks more gay than usual with his Eminem haircut and bleach job).

They played a medley which was excellent:
Hit The Lights
Blackened
Enter Sandman
Creeping Death
Battery

(Nothing from Load or Reload).

And then they started to play a new song from St Anger. Get this - halfway through, MTV started to roll the END CREDITS. Half way through the Metallica set!! What the Fuck!???? This is Metallica's show, they are the Icons, and they get the least on-air time?

Again, this sums up MTV wanting to promote bands like Sum41 and Korn, but the minute the music gets heavy, they turn their backs.

For the record, the new Metallica song sounded 'ok'. In typical Metallica fashion, it takes several listens before it really grows on you right? The song was aggressive, the riffing was very fast and chunky, and there were quick interludes played by James at the high end of his guitar. There seemed to be a melodic chorus but that's when the music faded out.

And finally, MTV showed a still picture of Metallica on stage at the end of their performance. Great, just great....

The next show was 'Punkd'. It's got that Ashton Kutcher guy doing some candid camera show. Nothing to do with the topic, but they played a trick on Jessica Alba (Dark Angel). My word, she has the nicest paps I have seen in a while. Well, at least the outline of her puppies looks appetizing.

JayKeeley said:
They played a medley which was excellent:
Hit The Lights
Blackened
Enter Sandman
Creeping Death
Battery
Cool.

I heard about this show before, is it an ongoing series or something? Just bands covering Metallica songs?

For the record, Rob Trujillo has always slung his bass pretty low, long before nu-metal came about. :)

phyre said:
That made me go "WTF?!?!? Since when do Dark Angel have a chix0r member?!?!?"

:lol:

Sorry, it's the James Cameron sci-fi tv show, heh.

I guess the conclusion of my Metallica story was that, when all is said and done, I am still barbaric when it comes to putting things into perspective - Metallica show was arsewipe, but it was followed by a nice pair of perky breasts that helped me forget my woes. :cool:

NAD said:
I heard about this show before, is it an ongoing series or something? Just bands covering Metallica songs?

No - it's a one off. I think it's the second one - last year was Aerosmith. MTV will repeat this for the next 2 months though. I wouldn't be surprised if it were on again tonight.

For the record, Rob Trujillo has always slung his bass pretty low, long before nu-metal came about. :)

Yeah I know. I was just annoyed at the time. He is a brilliant musician, and I'm glad that he got picked to replace Jason. Based on what they're previewing, Rob would be better suited to the new sound. Jason was always a blues man at heart.

Rob really did turn metal over the last few years I guess, he played with Ozzy for awhile, then did Jerry Cantrell's latest album, now he's in Metallica. When I was growing up he was the Suicidal Funkster!

Papa Josh said:
Just an observation, but Ali, you really seem preoccupied with the looks and appearances of all of these band members... do I detect some homosexual tendencies? :tickled:

Not that I know of! Like I said, Jessic Alba was a welcome sight. :lol: Very well timed after seeing all those jabberwockies.

JayKeeley said:
Sum41 sounded terrible - I caught a few seconds of For Whom the Bell Tolls. Er....doesn't the bass player know that he needs to distort his bass and run it through a wah-peddle for the signature intro?

Hey, I don't bother with that either :p

Avril Lavigne can't do the DIO fingers - she still sticks her thumb out instead of in, heh

Ha ha ha!!! That's so funny! :D Every time munchkins do that you can only point and laugh and then shout POSER!!! :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Have you ever tried it? It sounds so cool - adds a whole dimension to the bass, especially when playing Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth).
Wah + distortion is pretty cool, but I usually don't bother when playing Anesthesia, I usually only play that during drunken porch moments w/o my amp anyhow. "Haey NAd... play Anteshtheisa YEAHHH!!!" :lol:

I use my wah almost constantly for other stuff though, adds expression like nothing else.

JayKeeley said:
Kirk Hammet has some growth/wart on his left cheek

Grody.

By the way, I know Kirk has dark hair and kind of dark coloring, but he was looking really, really tanned last night. He's starting to resemble a long-haired George Hamilton. :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Have you ever tried it? It sounds so cool - adds a whole dimension to the bass, especially when playing Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth).

I'd have to blag me mates' equipment for that, and generally I can't be arsed :p no synths, no pedals, no wimps! Should try it someday though...

JayKeeley said:
For the record, the new Metallica song sounded 'ok'. In typical Metallica fashion, it takes several listens before it really grows on you right? The song was aggressive, the riffing was very fast and chunky, and there were quick interludes played by James at the high end of his guitar. There seemed to be a melodic chorus but that's when the music faded out.

By the way, if anyone didn't catch it, the lyrics to the new song were all about James' rehab experience. The chorus was something like, "If I had my wasted days back, I would have got myself on track."

I think he needs a drink. :p

haddsie said:
By the way, if anyone didn't catch it, the lyrics to the new song were all about James' rehab experience. The chorus was something like, "If I had my wasted days back, I would have got myself on track."

I think he needs a drink. :p

Fuck that. If he's sober, he's angry.

Sober=Angry=Good Metallica songs

That's probably the same song that says "My lifestyle is my deathstyle..."

So profound.. :loco:

I watched the Metallica portion again last night. Shit man, Blackened is so fucking heavy. I'd love to hear a remastered version of ...And Justice just to hear the thump and bass.

JayKeeley said:
I watched the Metallica portion again last night. Shit man, Blackened is so fucking heavy. I'd love to hear a remastered version of ...And Justice just to hear the thump and bass.

There is no true "real bass" to that recording. Remastering won't help that, they would actually need to remix the damn album. Did you know that in the studio, they actually dropped the bass levels to zero, and then Lars wanted it at -1?

That's because Lars never played with the bass, he played against James' guitar..

Interesting rhythm section.

Papa Josh said:
There is no true "real bass" to that recording. Remastering won't help that, they would actually need to remix the damn album. Did you know that in the studio, they actually dropped the bass levels to zero, and then Lars wanted it at -1?

That's because Lars never played with the bass, he played against James' guitar..

I love And Justice For All... but as a bassist it's hard for me to respect it since Jason got the red-headed stepchild treatment on that one. The only thing worse than a boring bassist is one you can't even hear. Bah.

And yes, Lars may have been a decent drummer in the past, but he's never been a good member of the rhythm section.

Papa Josh said:
Did you know that in the studio, they actually dropped the bass levels to zero, and then Lars wanted it at -1?

Papa Josh - is that true? I mean, why did they even bother with Jason playing then? You could hear him in Garage Days re-revisited, I can't fathom why they dropped him in the mix for a proper studio album.

I've grown to love And Justice for what it is, and I hate to tamper with classics. But by the Lord Harry, I would want to hear that album with basslines and 'oomph'.

Here's a tidbit: And Justice for All was laid down bar by bar on the music. Can you believe that? I read about it when I used to play guitar (more seriously). That's why it sounds so 'rigid' and 'tight' and 'mechanical'. Nothing as fluid as MoP or the black album. But again, I like it for what it is.

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER is the best riff ever to play in a guitar store just to show off your licks in front of the chicks. Well, next to BACK IN THE VILLAGE of course. Best riffs ever.