The state of Pop Music has to be at an all time low

yeh. im drunk and listening to some 'pop' from the mid 90s, Stone Temple Pilots! the rock and grunge from that era kills all this gay shit nowadays. 'course i was younger then, and might hate this if it had come out now haha. whatever.

I can't stand STP. Never liked Weiland's voice. Velvet Revolver is equally as bad. Of all that grunge shit that came out, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were really the only high quality ones. Though, each band began to decline badly towards the end.

I have to endure two hours of radio pop each weekday. It's horrible, horrible music. I hear the same damn 10 popular tunes of the week. And of coure, the DJs act like Linkin ark and Nickelback are music's saviors.

I thought Pearl Jam were pretty cool in their early period, before they went all bootleg crazy. Lots of good improv, bluesy rock/grunge, plus I think Eddie Veder has an outstanding voice.

Slightly Off Topic: Anyone ever heard the Eddie Veder / Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan theme song to the Sean Penn movie, "Dead Man Walking"? Wow, it is a phenomenal piece of music.

Khan was this traditional Sufi singer where he would sing in this transcendental style, to the point of becoming quite hypnotic / mesmerising. The Sufis basically sing themselves into a trance. Very repetitive in the same way drone or depressing BM might play out (obviously different instrument, but similar philosophy to music structure).

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan also did some cool stuff with Trent Reznor for the "Natural Born Killers" soundtrack - the prison escape scene. Just fucking brilliant music.

As Peter Gabriel once called him, "Part Bhudda, Part Demon". Completely off the wall music that you would never normally hear, but for those of you with open minds.... :kickass:

I was gay for STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana back then, and I'm gay for them now (except Pearl Jam). Been listening to Superunknown a lot lately, that album really is timeless.
JayKeeley said:
Slightly Off Topic: Anyone ever heard the Eddie Veder / Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan theme song to the Sean Penn movie, "Dead Man Walking"? Wow, it is a phenomenal piece of music.
I've heard OF this, and I remember that Peter Gabriel quote, this is something I should look into, sounds pretty kickass.

Where do you work that you have to listen to the same music 10 times a day J.? I was subjected to that torture, there was nothing worse than Faith Hill and Shania Twain to me, when their songs came on I would go into convulsions.

I commute with the fiance. We listen to the radio. She likes that damn annoying Jet song, you know the one that goes "You look so fine that I really wanna make you mine"

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adrian said:
I was gay for STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana back then, and I'm gay for them now (except Pearl Jam). Been listening to Superunknown a lot lately, that album really is timeless.
I only ever really like Soundgarden and AIC. Soundgarden is probably the best of the bunch. I really like Badmotorfinger, Superunknown (The Day I Tried to Live rulz), and I even like Down on the Upside or whatever. In fact, i liked that one the most for some reason, which was surprising because critics and fans panned it. I still really wanna check out Chris Cornell's solo album.

Everyone loves AIC's Dirt, but I still say the best thing AIC ever did was those two EPs, forgot the names. Those two EPs were just great music. Everything else they did is average to horrible.

Never could stand the other three. Cobain was just too whiny, Vedder looks like he trying to hold a massive shit in when he sings, and Weiland was just annoying.

man, I was working management at a retil store not oo long ago, and we were forced to listen to the top 40 radio station on the satellite for 8 hours a day!! Talk about torture! Same drivel over and over, sometimes I couldn't even tell if the songs had changed.

course not as bad as working at the disney store for 8 hours a day...

Evil C.

Alice in Chains:
The Sap EP has my favorite AiC song, Brother. Dirt and Jar of Flies EP are both 10/10 omg teh r0x0roxz and the other stuff was okay.

Soundgarden:
Superunknown rules beyond measure, the other stuff I know was inconsistent but songs like Slaves and Bulldozers and that "Follow me into the desert" song are incredible.

Nirvana:
I am continually amazed by how good these dudes were. That's all I can really say.

Pearl Jam:
Perfect debut followed by mountains of mediocrity.

Stone Temple Pilots:
I never really considered them part of the grunge movement, but they weren't ever brilliant anyhow. Always had consistently above average output though.

The whole grunge scene was the only great popular musical movement since the 70's. I wouldn't count metal in the 80's because a lot of the big groups were shit, most of the good stuff was buried.

Oh yeah, my buddy describes Chris Cornell's solo album as "Spanish lullaby" which is pretty fitting. Much better than Audioslave though.

Ive always thought Nirvana was sort of a punk metal band. I am pretty mch in agreement with NAD's judgments and observations on the above bands.

Is Franz Ferdinand a pop band? Good catchy stuff that I cant deny.

Alice in Chains - Yes, Dirt is incredible. Which album is "Man in the Box" on? I never want to hear that song again.

Soundgarden - Kim Thayill, wholly underrated, and lots of Sabbath influence. I like Chris Cornell's vox too. I never want to hear "Black Hole Sun" ever again either.

Nirvana - their live unplugged album is the best in their collection. Come on, that David Bowie cover is genius....thanks to Bowie. "Smells like Teen Spirit"...never again!

Pearl Jam - just a solid band as you can tell, Eddie Veder's voice is superb obviously, but please...no more "Alive" song ever again!

Stone Temple Pilots - pass. They never made it to the UK because I think the scene was dead by then. That recent song with Buffy in the video was pretty gay.

@Adrian - I don't fully agree that Pearl Jam went down hill after Ten. I think Vitalology was pretty cool (great packaging too). Anyway, "Better Man" is the greatest song from any of these bands. But yeah, otherwise, their heads went up their asses eventually, and what was up with the bootleg obsession....

And although Hair Metal imploded, I would still choose Motley Crue and Guns n Roses over any grunge band ever. :cool:

Skid Row were fuckin' metal. :kickass:

"Better Man" is just godawfulshit. I hate that song. Sorry. :)

Only essentials from grunge are the two AIC EPs, and everything after and including Badmotorfinger from Soundgarden.

And if you're a Nirvana fan, you can never, never, never complain about any whiny music, including shitty emo. Cobain was the whiner.

I thought Dirt had too much filler. It did have some incredible songs, but crap like Junkhead and God Smack, and Sick Man just ruin an otherwise great album.

Yeah but Cobain had soul. I don't care what he spawned, Nirvana ruled.

Dirt is one of the few perfect albums I own, not one single nanosecond is even REMOTELY out of place. Oh, Man in the Box was on Facelift, the debut. That one had tons of filler.

Don't care much for Betterman, but their worst was Yellow Ledbetter which is honestly one of the most horrific songs I've ever heard. Their second album was pretty okay, and Vitalogy is fun every so often, but they never came close to what they acheived with Ten. Vitalogy is a frontrunner for best album packaging though, that book rules.

Im in agreeance with jay on those horrible songs. One simple solution. Stop listening to the radio! Then you will never be forced to listen to them ever again. I did that years ago, and life has been so much more pleasant. The radio overplays the shit out of the same damn songs, while the rest of said albums have the better tracks.

can i smell greed?

Evil C.

J., man, oh man, I feel for ya. I dominate the stereo most of the time, to avoid listening to the radio. The wife just has to understand that that's the way it has to be.

Anyhow. A lot of people mistakenly call these badns "grunge," a term referring to clothing, not musical style. A lot of people have either forgotten or just don't know that every one of those bands listed, i.e. Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, were birthed (meaning video debuted) on Headbanger's Ball. Not 120 Minutes, not TRL, but Headbanger's Ball.

Alice In Chains was the opening act on the Clash of the Titans tour with Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth. Weiland is now the vocalist for Velvet Revolver, the real continuation of Guns N' Roses, not a dream in Axl's head. Soundgarden toured with Voivod and Faith No More back in the day.

And oh yeah, Soundgarden's Louder Than Love destroys everything after Badmotorfinger. Pure Sabbath worship from Kim Thayil. And I like Pearl Jam's Vs. better than Ten.

and Weiland was just annoying.

agreed on this ... he is just one cocky fuck. he is ok on few of the Velvet Revolver tracks, but I think they should have stuck with Sebastian Bach as the singer ... no matter how Skid Rowish the songs would have sounded.

Weiland makes every song sound like a downer ...

that fucking grunge era was such a depressing musical period .. ugh ...
black metal is like fucking Poison compared to the mood created by some of those grunge bands.