ok so MTV Icon: Metallica... who saw it?

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
overall it was pretty neat. now metallica's music is something i feel very passionate and strong about, about as much as i feel about maiden. Fuck I was a member of the metallica club for five years. I can diss on metallica for some of their recent efforts and i can diss on mtv for their choice of people to pay tribute aka "who's hot at the moment" but the bottom line is that most of the abnds did a decent enough job covering the songs and snoop dogg was just the funniest thing i have ever seen on tv in a while.

but...

as a self-confessed metallica snob i have one simple rule for any band covering a metallica song...

YOU DO NOT EVER FOR ANY REASON SCRATCH OVER SANITARIUM!!!!!!!!!!

x

ps. i LOATHE Fred Durst

but the medley metallica did at the end had me smiling so much.

and the brief snippet of the new song they played was actually pretty cool. nothing earth-shattering but a gazillion times better than "I Disappear"

sayin

from that review:

And then we got Metallica on stage. I'm sorry but Rob Truillo is trying to look like a nu-metal mallrat with his bass hung to the floor.

Nu-metal?? Um, hasn't Trujillo been playing like that since like 1981?

answer = yes

even knowing that metallica now are gay businessmen and that their music is different (not bad, i like some tunes), i can't stop enjoying them (do you know have any explanation?)
but talking about live musicianship:their live performances now are too weak with compared to the old times (up to black album they were a great band on stage in my opinion), now it looks like they are trying to cover someone else's music and, of course, with no success.