Metallica on MTV ICON

JayKeeley said:
EYE OF THE BEHOLDER is the best riff ever to play in a guitar store just to show off your licks in front of the chicks.
you must be joking. i could play that song when i was 16 and sucked at guitar. i can think of way better metallica riffs than any in that song.
-neal

JayKeeley said:
Here's a tidbit: And Justice for All was laid down bar by bar on the music. Can you believe that? I read about it when I used to play guitar (more seriously). That's why it sounds so 'rigid' and 'tight' and 'mechanical'. Nothing as fluid as MoP or the black album. But again, I like it for what it is.
I have heard that too, but I never really believed it. Where did you read it? I heard it from a guy that I didn't trust, a person my mom called a cross between Kurt Cobain and Baby Huey. :lol:

neal said:
you must be joking. i could play that song when i was 16 and sucked at guitar. i can think of way better metallica riffs than any in that song.
-neal

No I'm deadly serious! Although it's not the most technical, and for the most part played on the open E, it just has a really good vibe. When you play it loud, it sounds awesome.

But yeah, there are a hundred other good Metallica riffs - that's why they are who they are.

NAD said:
I have heard that too, but I never really believed it. Where did you read it? I heard it from a guy that I didn't trust, a person my mom called a cross between Kurt Cobain and Baby Huey. :lol:

I read it in guitar world, or guitar school. One of those guitar mags that I only bought for the transcriptions.

It almost explains why they transformed into the simple riffs on the black album and got the Motley Crue producer in. Flemming Rameussen was an anally retentive freak.

JayKeeley said:
I read it in guitar world, or guitar school. One of those guitar mags that I only bought for the transcriptions.
Heehee, that's the only reason I bought them too. Guitar School had to be the best, it was 75% transcriptions! Guitar World is garbage now. Every once in awhile I'll look through one at Sam Ash, but the transcriptions are like this tab/music hybrid thing, really annoying.

NAD said:
Heehee, that's the only reason I bought them too. Guitar School had to be the best, it was 75% transcriptions! Guitar World is garbage now.

It's a disgrace now. They used to publish stuff that was too difficult to bother learning by ear, which was helpful. And they published stuff that I wanted to learn!!

Now it's just Limp Bizkit, Korn etc and I don't want to learn any of that. And the fact that some people need tab to learn a Disturbed song or whatever is a joke.

Remember when they used to publish the Megadeth stuff like High Speed Dirt or Holy Wars, or Steve Vai or Vinnie Moore songs? That was awesome tablature for real technical playing. That stuff was worth learning.