Metallica - Through The Never

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
Well, my first forray into the IMG project, and after talking with some other members in a thread, Through The Never seems to be a good place to begin.

I'll be creating a drum track for this with Reason. I have some pretty nice samples for drum sounds, so I can hopefully achieve a result participants will be happy with.
I'll keep the drum tracks dry for now and add reverbs and gates later when it comes to mixing.
I'll also handle the lead and rhythm guitars, Rabies has put himself forward for 2nd guitar duties and possibly vocals, but, if I understand it right, he'd hope for someone else to step up for vocal duties.

So, what we need now is a bassist and a vocalist.

The song is, instrumentally, very easy, very repetitive and doesn't require too much of a bassist or rhythm guitars. Vocally, I'm not sure how difficult it will be ('cause I'm not a singer).

Any takers?

Lee,
(hope you don't mind my saying that..its a hell of a lot easier to type than 'Ultima Ibanez Overlord' - maybe we'll shorten it to UIO? ;) )

Started learning the song today. I know old Metallica used to be all about massive downpicking. For the performance on this song, do you think it would sound better if I downpick everything? Do you care? Just want to try to match your playing as close as possible.

..it will be the dual RG570 guitar rhythm riff! :Smokedev:

Hey Eddie's Cellmate. Great that you're up for bass. Good news about the drummer, too. Shall I hold off on doing the drum track?

Rabies, call me Lee. It's a lot easier than typing Ultima.... I know. Although most people seem to call me UIO on this website's forums.
About the downstroke thing, I'm very much an alternate picking fiend, and I'd find it hard to do everything with downstrokes like Hetfield manages to. As far as I know, Hammett didn't do downstrokes like Hetfield (but I could be wrong), he used a more traditional, alternate approach.
If there are any sections that I do use all downstrokes on, I'll be sure to let you know.
Thinking about it, I'll probably use all downstrokes on the pre-chorus's that go "all alone in the family of the sun, curiousity teasing everyone, on our home, third stone from the sun"

It'll be an all-out Ibanez assault!! With the bass as well, won't it, Eddie's Cellmate?
Hey Rabies, do you have the single coil in the middle on your's?

Originally posted by Eddies cellmate
I'm in for the bass! :headbang:

BTW, I should mention that I heard from a metal drummer via e-mail today who's interested in some metal projects. I told him to stop by here. Maybe he'd be into doing a drum track for this one?

I guess we'll see if/when he stops by. :)

:cool: I might be interested in that. Just have to get the song down good and I'll be set. (By getting it down I mean listening to it a couple of times :p ) Would you guys have a rough guitar track you could send me? that would be great. thanx

I could knock up a very rough version to a basic click or something perhaps. I'll get started on it within a day or two and send it to you, if you like.

Rabies, I should point out what sort of gear I'll be using. I'll be using my Boss GT-3 directly into the pc. I'll probably use it's amp modelling rather than the MetalZone I or II. And I guess I'll probably use it's Boogie emulation, to try to mimmick the Metallica stun-crunch sound.
What will you use? Will you mic an amp up, or do you have an emulator of some kind?

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord

It'll be an all-out Ibanez assault!! With the bass as well, won't it, Eddie's Cellmate?

Heh, I was thinking the same thing!

519410.t.jpg

519506.t.jpg

519684.t.jpg

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hey Rabies, do you have the single coil in the middle on your's? [/B]

Yes. Humbuckers in the bridge and neck position. White paint job..black hardware. Mahogany neck (actually..I think all RG570 have mahogany necks). Pretty standard, boring guitar..but I love the way the neck plays. Looks just like the one in the pic in ECs post..only more white.

I have, and use the Line6 POD 2.0 for IMG recording purposes. Will dig through the library to come up with some Metallica presets. If/when you make that rough track for Hulk, send me a copy, so I can fine tune mine to match your tone better.

Its a metallica song, So i plan to double track all my rhythms..and send you a track with the parts panned hard left and right...unless you would prefer seperate files. Your choice on if you use both in the final mix or not.

@Rabies: I double track all the rhythm guitars that I record both in the studio and at home, anyway. I know Metallica used to go insane layering guitars for that really thick sound (this is one reason they usually sound so weak live).
So, definitely record two rhythm tracks.
2 seperate tracks would be better. I can make one a little more toppy, then, just to give the rhythm guitars a little more "scope".

I'm busy writing a patch that will have the tight stun crunch Metallica sound at the moment. I'll probably do a scratch track for HulkBlood01 on Monday. I should have the tone sorted by then.

Hulk and/or Rabies, will I get access to a mailbox big enough to receive this file by clicking on the email link in your profiles?
If not, let me know an address I can mail it to.

Good stuff, Eddie's Cellmate. I can stil remember most of this song from a long time ago, but I'll refresh my memory by getting the notation for it from online on Monday.
I haven't done it so far because I've been working on some latin stuff for a short show I'll be playing on Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to this a lot now, especially as last night I listened to The Wicker Man, The Trooper and another file I can't remember the name of from the IMG song list.
The results are really impressive.

Lee

email probably won't work...do you have a webspace you could throw it on? For past projects, I've just made a page at geocities that everyone can access, so they can put their parts on there. Let me know what you think..

HulkBlood01, I do have access to free webspace. I can upload it to there and let you download it, probably. I might have to rename the extension to do this, but it should work. If that fails, I might have to upload it to my mp3.com page and you could download it from there.
I'll get working on it tomorrow.

oooarrr33, I think the vocals are still up for grabs. Get a copy of the song and you can find the lyrics at www.darklyrics.com

Lee

I recorded a rough scratch track of the rhythm guitar today. It's not great because I had a cold and I kept sneezing whilst playing. I did somehow manage to get through a lot of it without sneezing, but one or two occured, and you'll probably be able to hear where they did, because my picking probably jumps a little.

It is all in rhythm, though, so HulkBlood01, it will be fine for you to record to.
Rabies, it is not the final tone I'll use, and it is by no means the final quality I'll render to the song, I'll want to adjust my tone a little, but it is very close and I'll play it a lot better, and wait until I'm not seezing every 4 seconds. At least you'll hear the amount of distortion, and treble and bass settings I'll use.
I also tended to use a lot of downstrokes, on almost everything, apart from the intro riff (and all other similar riffs) and the middle 8.

I can't upload it to my free webspace provider. They won't allow files over 1mb in size. Does anyone have a solution to this? it's sitting here waiting to go, fellas. I'm sorry I haven't been able to get it to you as quickly as I'd hoped.
if you PM me your email addresses, I can mail it to you. It's 3.7mb in size.

I guess I'd also better tell you guys I'll be going away on the 19th of this month and won't be back until the 7th of January. So, if it seems like I've disappeared, it's not because I've lost interest. If we can get things moving before then, great. If not, no problem. I'll be just as keen in a month's time as I am now.

I'll check back later to see if anyone has had a solution for getting this file to you.

Lee

Lee,

Mail me the file. We may have a better solution for your file transfer problems, but I have to discuss this with certain other members first.

2nd, don't feel at all bad about the pace at which you did all this. New blood usually tends to get things moving quickly around here...which is good...but compared to the 'vets' you are moving at lightning speed - but that helps light the fires under our butts..which we often need. o_O Don't be too dissapointed when the others on the project may not get thier parts to you at the same speed. One of the major downsides on a project of this nature is that everybody has different priorities...and amount of time they can spend on this...so everybody is working/recording at way different speeds.

..and finally, we are used to people dissapearing for a month or more around here. :) Thanks for the pre-warning though.

..almost forgot..
email= rabies@burn.com

i have a solution...

some time ago i made a webspace at geocities for an online collaboration. Nothing came of that, but I still have the webspace. I've wiped it clean of everything, and if you want to use it to upload, feel free.

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

login: minijam10
password: metal1

Once you log in, all you have to do is click 'easy upload' on the right. After its uploaded, everyone should be able to see it at this address:
http://www.geocities.com/minijam10/

so feel free to use it! :D

HulkBlood01, thanks for that. I just uploaded the file. If you log into that account, it'll be the only file there, I suppose. I didn't create an HTML document with a link to it 'cause you have access to the directory.
I hope the file is useful. If not, let me know and I'll knock up another.

Rabies, thanks for explaining. I don't mean to seem impatient or anything, I just got it done 'cause I had the time. I'll be busy myself soon. In early 2003 I'll be recording with my band, so I'll have to take time out for that, as well as working on two other projects (a fusion and a power metal one).
I'll email that file to you now. I'll title the email something relevant, so you don't think it's spam.

Lee

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
HulkBlood01, thanks for that. I just uploaded the file. If you log into that account, it'll be the only file there, I suppose. I didn't create an HTML document with a link to it 'cause you have access to the directory.
I hope the file is useful. If not, let me know and I'll knock up another.

Rabies, thanks for explaining. I don't mean to seem impatient or anything, I just got it done 'cause I had the time. I'll be busy myself soon. In early 2003 I'll be recording with my band, so I'll have to take time out for that, as well as working on two other projects (a fusion and a power metal one).
I'll email that file to you now. I'll title the email something relevant, so you don't think it's spam.

Lee

hmmm.........shows up as zero k. :confused:
strange.....nothin yet