Methods of destroying a snare drum

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Hey there.

For this next album I'm going to record, I will use the Mic the overheads method, and the rest will be programmed.

My question to you is this:

What methods do you use to get rid of the snare and kick drum for overhead mics. I know you can't literally get rid of them, but what do YOU do to make them as minimally audible as possible?

The only method I've used, or heard of is using a spacial micing method (one mic over each cymbal grouping), and then roll back eq settings (hi-pass typically).

I know there's gotta be more ways out there, though.

Have fun answering.

Meow.:Smokedev:

What methods do you use to get rid of the snare and kick drum for overhead mics. I know you can't literally get rid of them, but what do YOU do to make them as minimally audible as possible?

The only method I've used, or heard of is using a spacial micing method (one mic over each cymbal grouping), and then roll back eq settings (hi-pass typically).

That's pretty much it, apart from what ermz said. Pointing the mics away from the snare helps. You could try to sidechain-comp the OHs to the snare track so that with every snare hit, the OHs get ducked a little bit. This might lead to nasty pumping, so experiment.

1.) Get a hammer
2.) ???
3.) Profit!

Angling overhead mic's away from the kit.
Fill the kick with a blanket.
Take the snare wire's off the snare.
Sidechain compressing the overheads.
Limiting and high passing the overheads.

Though, if you're going to be programming drums anyway why not just get the drummer to play the cymbals without drums? Or as suggested use bit's from an electronic kit?

record a stereo sample of snare with the overheads, flip phase on that stereo sample, then paste at every snare hit, making sure you line it up exactly with the overheads. :)

Seriously though, why does the drummer need to be using real drums? If only the cymbals are getting kept then simply using practice pads is the way to go. This frees you up to position your overheads based on what will actually sound best, rather than what will minimize bleed.

Seriously though, why does the drummer need to be using real drums? If only the cymbals are getting kept then simply using practice pads is the way to go. This frees you up to position your overheads based on what will actually sound best, rather than what will minimize bleed.

I don't know. The drummer insists on recording with his real drums and all. I would much rather use practice pads+cymbals, but gotta keep the customers happy right?

tell him to bring his mom and use her tits as a couple of trashy beater snares to trigger off of. the kid does not need real drums other then real cymbols

record a stereo sample of snare with the overheads, flip phase on that stereo sample, then paste at every snare hit, making sure you line it up exactly with the overheads. :)

It's an idea, but I don't think that the hits would be consistent enough for it to work properly. Plus that's too much work where he could just be programming.

i've had pretty good results killing the snare in OH's by using the SSL e-channel, using the fast attack and setting the ratio to infinity. the important thing here is that you have to really nail the threshold and release so that the quick snare/kick hits get squashed, but the slower transients of the cymbals don't!

If he really insists on using his drums, mute the skins/shells as much as you can.

That's the only other option if you can't get his band to make him stop being a tit. Get blankets, pillows, clothes, whatever you can and stuff them inside the drums to mute them.

Why do drummers have to be such dicks?