Mic amp recording not sounding good

ROOM ROOM ROOM

i once tried re-amping in a garage… yikes. I suggest somewhere with carpet, any hard flooring is going to give off too much room sound for guitars! I'm thinking most likely what you're not happy with is because of the room.

From my experience: With metal recordings having the mic so close to the speaker, it will barely catch enough room. Not like none at all... but I heard great sounds recorded in REALLY shitty rooms.

From my experience: With metal recordings having the mic so close to the speaker, it will barely catch enough room. Not like none at all... but I heard great sounds recorded in REALLY shitty rooms.

Yep. But if you try a condenswr mic, it might record the room regardless. I've yet to hear the room affect the sound drastically when dealing with dynamic mics and loud distorted cabs.

When you dial in your amp, have the speaker pointed directly at your head. If you are sitting off to the side, you are going to add in a whole bunch more treble because those frequency ranges are very directional.

There's a LOT of fizz going on in the 5kHz+ area. Try clearing that with narrow Q cuts and/or some high shelf, though I'd probably try different mic positions first, to try and get rid of the fizz at the source, rather than having to drown the tone with cuts.

The Vypyr is a surprisingly good sounding practice amp (for the price, that is) - too bad Peavey stopped making them a while ago (wtf, Peavey).