Mic amp with two microphones

Hi guys, I' not happy with the results I get using only one SM57 in my cab (Rectifier slant). I saw this interview and I understand what Andy said about the first 57 and where to place it, but where should I place the second 57? (to get more lows and blend with the first one).

Maelstrom: How many microphones do you use when you mic your amps?

Andy Sneap: Usually it’s just one SM 57. It’s straight in the middle, and maybe I’ll move it off to the side to get rid of some of the really harsh top end. But only very slightly. I’m taking half an inch. Sometimes I’ll throw another mic (another 57 or a Sennheiser 421) on there, but it’s very, very slight in the mix, like about 20dB down from the main mic. I’ve found that the actual speaker makes as much difference as the amp we use. I always used to use (Celestion) Greenbacks, the 25s. But I’ve gone to the (Celestion) Vintage 30s more recently. It depends on the player a little bit more, and the tuning as well. If the band’s in the more regular 440 tuning, sometimes you find that the 75-watt Celestions work a little bit better.

If you want more low end place it further out to the edge of the speaker, or leave it fairly centered but angle it out to the edge. Some people throw a kick drum mic on the back of the cabinet too, make sure to invert the phase and that will give you some subs.

You may want to check your amp settings; it's easy to dial it in too bright or too bassy. Get your rig as smooth sounding as possible and put the 57 right where the cap meets the paper 1-3 inches back and you should be set. What head(s) are you using?

I know "fredman technique", but I'm trying to understand and apply what Andy said in this interview, using the second mic at very low volume (-20 db) and the first one lightly off center of the cone (I guess off axis, right?). I could put the second 57 between the cone and the edge, to get a dark sound blended

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Trevoire, I don't have a D112, but I could try some Audix D3, D4 or D6.

te aconsejaria que experimentaras con diferentes microfonos. y siempre el 57 siendo el principal. juega con las posiciones de los dos. por lo general, andy siempre dice "un sm57 en el lugar correcto" nunca dice exactamente en donde. asi que asumo que juega con la pocision cada vez.

ve a la caja mientras alguien mas toca (a un volumen desente claro) y escucha cada parlante, pon los microfonos en el que mas te guste.

hay muchisimos metodos para esto, pero creo que experimentando te va a llevar al lugar exacto que quieres.

I know "fredman technique", but I'm trying to understand and apply what Andy said in this interview, using the second mic at very low volume (-20 db) and the first one lightly off center of the cone (I guess off axis, right?).

Not off axis, but off center.
I would put it on the center to get the fizziest sound and then move it towards the edge of the cone, to get rid of the fizz and preserve the great mids.

Not sure about Sneaps miking technique that you are quoting, I've actually never heard of him using or saying that. For myself, when I dual mic, I like to use opposite clock positions for both mics relative to the dustcap joint. For example, if mic A is at 3:00, then mic B will be at 9:00. This I find results in the mics having a purely additive effect when summed, though this is not always the reason or desire for dual miking.

I've just been trying to perfect the single mic technique; I find that it sounds better when you move one mic to a great position as opposed to two mic's at positions that compliment eachother. No matter what, you'll get some degree of phase cancellation with two mics.