mixing mic´d amp and ampsim

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
hey i just had a nice guitar recording session. i usally have bad luck with recording an amp because i don´t do it often enough and the bands mostly had shitty amps etc.

At the last session we used a peavy 6505 plus and miced it with an sm 57 fredman style (and a beta 58-just to try it)
the cab was a harley benton with vintage 30 speakers.

i also split the signal to record the di´s.

know the result of the amp signal turned out better then i thought but their is some high end missing.
I also put an ampsim over the di and compared both for a long time.
i can´t decide witch one to use for the mix because i like both.
know i had the idea to blend them somehow.

did anybody of you ever do this? i didn´t try jet will i have fucked up phase problems because of plugin delay etc?
what do you think?
i will post samples tomorrow

I do this all the time for that exact reason, i use the balls and the grit of the amp track, then blend a little ampsim to add extra bite to it. Never had any phase issues

print your ampsim guitars and align them manually. In every case I've blended real amps and ampsims, the DI was some milliseconds after the mic'd tones.

I do this all the time for that exact reason, i use the balls and the grit of the amp track, then blend a little ampsim to add extra bite to it. Never had any phase issues

+1. When I'm recording direct into Reaper, I select the "record output (latency compensated)" setting. On my band's material, I usually record my amp at the studio and do any direct parts at home.