How hard to hit Recabinet and Amp Sims?

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
How hard are you guys hitting recabinet. What i mean is, what levels are you generally finding to work best? For example if using an amp sim (podfarm, anything) how hot do you like the DI to be coming into ampsim, and how hot do you like the ampsim output to be coming into recabinet? I've been trying to stick close to the -18RMS when tracking my DI's but im not sure it didnt sound better coming in hotter to Podfarm or alike.

Honestly, I just watch my track meter on a raw DI and make sure it's hitting decently hard and not clipping my interface. I normally leave the amp sims output at default.

I usually read the manual... Most of the time the calibration range is written in there for any plugin. I saw ampsims that are -18dB RMS calibrated and also some that are 0dB peak calibrated. In the end volume at your preamp does basically the same thing like volume knob on your guitar. For the recainet the ampsim output might be more relevant to look into the manual.
However, you can use this before and after the recabinet, set it to 'reverse' and simply try ti find the sweetspot without being fooled by volume.

I actually A/B 'd different levels ( between -18dbfs and -3) before hitting my cab sims the other day cause I was wondering if that affects the end sound. Tried with lecto, tse x30, tse x50 and legion by moving their output so I get different levels just before kefir or sir2, then printed and finally matched the levels of the tracks. I didn't notice any difference.

I thought this thread was only about the ampsim output, I read again and I'll add that at least the amp sims that I really like (the mentioned above) really seem to like either hot signals; or whatever level your DI's are but with an increased input. Yeah, really high. Just don't forget to turn down the gain knob on the ampsim if you feel your sound is overgained. You can even digitally clip the signal and these ampsims still sound good.

I think the signal needs to be quite hot from the amp sim -> recabinet if you are using that "Dynamic" feature. I think I remember Kazrog saying that the Dynamic feature relies on a strong signal to function properly

Yes, ...If you are using simple convolver with simple impulses, like KeFir, LeCab or your daws stock Convolver, then input gain doesn't matter. Convolution is a linear operation (it is not level-dependent). Recabinet uses some kind of dynamic convolution, which uses different impulses for different input values, so input matters there too.

Recabinet actually uses a nonlinear dynamics algorithm in conjunction with normal static IRs. The normal static IRs contain enough information for this approach to work, and it is in fact superior in every way to dynamic convolution in that it more accurately emulates the way speakers react, and takes far less CPU and disk space.

There's no need to hit Recabinet with extreme levels - in fact it's optimized so that if you set all of the volume controls in Recabinet set to their default center positions, and your track fader at unity gain, any reasonably healthy average level that's not clipping your track's output meter should be sufficient.

As for amp sims, there's a wider range of results when messing with DI input level, as tube amps (and anything that even somewhat accurately emulates them) are extraordinarily input level dependent. Experiment until you get the sound you're looking for. The picking technique of the guitarist is also a huge factor.

I own recabinet and it's extremely useful for solo's,i do not use it for rythm guitars on official recordings,but for solos it's really great when the signal is recorded with a cool preamp,for example PSA 1,1 or JMP 1.
Usually I adjust the levels loud.

Honestly, I would just go with what your sounds best to your ears, preferably on speakers and not headphones. I'm constantly adjusting guitar DI and amp sim lvls as well as cab sim output. I've noticed the level of your guitar's DI has the biggest change when using heavily distorted amp sims. I think I usually shoot for about -15db RMS with peaks at -12db in my mixes as starting point for all tracks.