Mic Cymbals from Underneath. Flip phase?

riffmachine

Feb 9, 2006
I finally got a chance to mic the hi-hat and ride cymbal along with the overheads. I ended up mic'ing them from underneath. Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to invert the phase?

Yeah, I don't usually side with the "go with what sounds good" suggestion, but in this case there are only two options (flipped or not flipped) and it's so easy to try both, so give it a go!

My guess is yes. But yeah either way (whatever is better).

You liked how the mic sounded on the bottom of the hats? I personally can't stand that sound but eh... to each his own right? :headbang:

Yeah, with the way the kit was set up, it sounded pretty good and was easiest to put the mics underneath. We'll see I guess. For me it was really cool to see how they added to the stereo field. It was like it created more definition and filled in some dead spots. As I mess with them, I'm sure I'll have to troubleshoot, but it's a great new thing to add to the puzzle.

although i've never done it before, micing cymbols from underneath, i would imagine sounds quite diffrent from above, and i'd also imagine you get a lot more bleed from the kit.

however, reversing phase doesn't change sound on its own *at all*, its only purpose is to undo weird sound cancelling effects that may happen at mixing/mastering (in which case it doubles the sound it was cancelling). this therefore may have an effect on the mix, but its the same noise cancelling/doubling effect you'd get from micing the cymbols from above.

although i'd imagine flipping phase will affect the rest of the kit more because of the added bleed.

i'd quite like to hear it when its done! :)