micing cymbals(underhead) instead of overheads?

xconnyx

www.iheartsound.com
May 30, 2007
germany/bielefeld
www.iheartsound.com
hi

anyone got experience in micing each cymbal or cymbalgroups?

i usually mic hihat and ride extra, but in my next recording session i like to try to get as many condensers as i can get my hands on to mic each cymbal or cymbalgroups (like 2 splashes 1 mic).

i'm going to use my usual overheads aswell, to secure the tracking, but i'm going to try to mic all the cymbals in some way that i dont need the overheads to make the cymbals audible.

i think that we have to rearrange the drumset for this type of micing, but he's got to deal with this than, and i know the drummer is ok with this.

anyone did this, or something simillar befor?

conny

you know i wanted to let the cymbals sound like on "ashes of the wake" by lamb of god.

i dont know if they did "underhead/cymbal micing" stuff but the cymbals are so fuckin clear and direct...

i concidered recording seperate shells and cymbals, but i think this will only confuse the situation and maybe we should try recording seperate in a single testing session and not for the new record... :p

I've done it a fair amount. The main thing is to listen bleed-- you really want the groups to be as isolated as possible or you can run into phase issues fairly quickly. Also listen carefully to what happens when cymbals are hit. You have to be careful to avoid the 'wah wah wah' low-end, phase shift, proximity thing. You will know what I'm talking about when you hear it.

I've done it a fair amount. The main thing is to listen bleed-- you really want the groups to be as isolated as possible or you can run into phase issues fairly quickly. Also listen carefully to what happens when cymbals are hit. You have to be careful to avoid the 'wah wah wah' low-end, phase shift, proximity thing. You will know what I'm talking about when you hear it.

I don't have anything to add to this, only the fact that I would listen to what this gentleman has to say. Because...well.....listen to the drums on his band's latest record and you'll know what I'm talking about.

good stuff my friend

What about something that clipped on to a cymbals stand with something like a goose neck to position it? A small condenser like they do for drums, but adapted to work for cymbals.
I've often wondered about this but not tried it. I have clip on condensers for toms but they are designed for rims.

Another idea I have based on that(actually I think this came first) is triggering cymbals by just sticking a trigger element to the stand (close to the cymbal as possible) and triggering off that 'shock' when it's hit... just like recording the ddrum splat... in theory. That's another story anyway.

LarsUlrich_ma2_800.jpg

yeah, basically i was thinking of it like on the pic of lars set.

but just that i have condensers like akg c1000, oktava ect... some large diagraph mics, dont know witch jet.

i thougt of an angle like on those pics too.

i saw vid a while back of chimaria's drummer in the studio, and there were more than a couple of mics on the underside of cymbals

play around with your placement, and you should be good to go

ATM350cW.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATM350cW/

Hmm...Seems interesting. Wonder how these actually sound. Might be cool to get a set of these to compliment the SDCs I use. I usually setup the 4 pencils I have evenly across the set, aimed at the cymbals, and then a LDC on the hats and one underneath the ride.

~006

Kurtz: Man, I cannot find that SM98 anywhere! Not even pictures with Google Image Search. I can find a zillion mounts for the SM98A, but no microphone. The only thing I can find is the Beta98D/S, which fits in the same mount as the SM98A. I'm guessing they're either extremely similar, or in actuality they are one and the same? I've looked at those 98D/S before, they are freakin' tiny! What kind of sound quality are they though? If they are good I may look into them as a means of individually mic'ing cymbals.

site_img_us_pro_beta98d-s_l.jpg

~006

Ehhh...nvm with the Shure version...they are $230 a peice. The AT one is only $150 each.

~006

i've never used the shures for cymbals, but toms and snare bottom. They were ok sounding in the situations i used them, but other mics (like 604's) were better suited for those applications. I'd be curious to try them for cymbals though, they seem to lack low end, and have a pretty nice top end.

i couldn't remember if they were called SM98 the beta98...looks like it was the beta

and i can't tell you how they'd actually sound on cymbals...i've seen them in action once on snare and toms, and was impressed with how they sounded for being little tiny clip-ons, but that's the extent of my experience with them

http://www.playdying.com/ffh08test1.mp3

this is all underneath, no overheads, every mic -4 db expander+lowcut @ 80hz, crashes and big china also have a -8db drop in the 150hz range to get rid of the "woohwoohwwoohh". it seesm like cheap cymbals provide more of this anoying "wowowowow" than expensive ones :D :D :D

/edit: btw this is a pilotguitar in the back, and of course everything is work in progress, no real mix or what ever. basically its just what we recorded yesterday