Cymbal "Cluster" Micing VS. 2 Overheads?

i know the pain aaron, i whip my drummer especially, but every other drummer to raise their cymbals.
sometimes if im particularly mean i'll move their kit, sometimes when they're not looking.

Ive always had pretty good luck with spaced pair, two sticks above the cymbalsish (great for measuring) I do obvserve the 3:1 rule....ish, but normally im all aout keeping the drums out , so mike the edge of the cymbal away from the kit.

something like this... ish

l_6ac032d178cf402bad8678d1b40c69b5.jpg

l_49b00d8ae0c646d4842cfd3b54b645f6.jpg

How about spot-micing the cymbals and then an ambience pair in the room for the overall picture and "glue"?

Thats what i try and pull. Along with overheads and cymbals spots I use two shure KSM's as room left and right and a ribbon mic in the center.

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, when we're talking about "the edge of the cymbal away from the kit", we're talking basically about 180 degrees away from the edge that the drummer hits with the stick, right? As for those pics, I don't think I've ever put mics that high above the cymbals...it seems like the drum bleed would become a bigger issue, the higher you get. Is that where the positioning plays a bigger role? I've also used large diaphragm condensers a lot, which probably are worse for avoiding bleed than a more directional small diaphragm condenser...

I'm almost afraid to try spot mics on each cymbal just because it's such a different approach, but it's worth a shot. I'm planning on having room mics up anyway. Maybe I'll love it and begin preaching it on the forums afterwards!

I tend just to use two OHs (AB, sometimes XY) and like to mic hats and ride - given I have the inputs after all drums + triggers. If I only have one spare after everything, I would chose ride over hats any day.