name your favourite

• A

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • B

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • C

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
I definitely preferred B & C, but I liked C the most. The 57 sounds really weak in comparison to the two imo.

On the topic of Beyerdynamic mics...apparently the mc930's are pretty similar to the 184...and they are a lot less expensive as well.

So I guessed the 184... I wouldn't put one at the mercy of a drummer, though. Good thing you can at least sample the kit with it.

this is correct....
some will be surprised now and buy a m201 I guess ;).
seriously, it's a fucking killer swiss army mic IMO

:Smokin: wooo i win lol

i still reckon the neumann sounds the best, it's so ridiculously transparent. Then again, the m201 is 1/4 of the price and still sounds pretty damn good.

The old 57 got shown up a bit there didn't it :p

Lasse, when you said 10cm from the rim, did you mean vertically or horizontally or what?

Forbidden: try listening to only some of the frequencies at a time, for example listen to just the highs (don't use eq, just try and ignore the rest). The neumann is very audibly different up there

horizontally...vertically it was like 2-3cm from the height of the skin.
usually I'll be closer to the snare when using a bottom mic, but since I didn't use one for this test I miced it from further away to get more of the sizzle and less proximity effect

Thanks for the shootout, Lasse! I immediately picked out the 57 for the "papery sound." So tired of this....

The m201 & Km184 were definitely harder to pick from one another. Digging the 201.... will have to grab one!