• d

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Hey lads.
here's another quick shootout between the Shure sm57 and the Beyerdynamic m201.

it's 4 files in total

just sm57
just 201
201 plus 57 (10dB lower)
57 plus 201 (10 dB lower)

(not the same order as the testfiles, so it's a blind test)

a

b

c

d

also...guess the amp if you want ;)

A (Just M201?)
D (M201 + 57?))
C (57 + M201?)
B (Just M201?)

...for me.

I want to switch the 57 and M201 in my guesses but you mentioned that the files aren't in the same order as the list you posted and if I change my guess then they would be :p

I want to switch the 57 and M201 in my guesses but you mentioned that the files aren't in the same order as the list you posted and if I change my guess then they would be :p

not necessarily...I didn't have in mind which one is which when I typed that list....I mean it's relatively unlikely that all of them are as listed, but nothing is impossible

c is definitely 2 mics
b is as well i think

hmmmm

i reckon:

a is m201 my favourite, needs a bit of low passing though
b is both with the 57 higher, my least favourite, it sounds smeary
c is both with m201 higher, it's ok, but doesn't quite have the same crunch and "rip" to it as the singe mic ones
d is the 57, better frequency balance than the m201 to my ears, but it's got that smooth but nasty sm57 upper midrange and less bite overall

I may well have got that completely wrong, i'm really not sure about the middle 2. The main peak of the fizz sounds similar on a and c, which made me link them

EDIT: having been told that a is not the m201, i think i've got my mics muddled up and actually they're all the other way around

my fav. is (a) (i guess its the sm57) because its has a bit more bite

second (d) (i guess its the m201), is really good too, and well rounded,
for guitars only, i like it very much, but for a full mix, i would prefer (a)

I'm really not sure what is what, but it's between A and D, for me...with D in the lead as my favorite. But I'd really have to hear them in a full mix.

I guess the krank doesn't make it easier...
here is the same with another guitar and through a rectifier, you probably know this amp better and how it behaves.
I forgot to mention...the mics aren't exactly in the same position because I have them both on there at the same time for the blending.

the letter correspond with the same mics as in the first test (a=same mic/combi as a2 etc)

a2
b2
c2
d2

if you wanna try it in the mix go program drums...the tempo is 165 bpm ;)

imho A is the best one for both amps....sounded most upfront and aggressive. needs a lowpass though.
D was a close second, but i prefered the rawness of A. should stick out in a mix moreso than D too.

between B and C it's interesting, as i could have sworn B was the 201 alone....so i'm surprised to see that it actually has the sm57 blended in. listening with the knowledge which is which it becomes more obvious though.

seems like the 201 has more lows and low mid rumble, whereas the sm57 has the classic "fizz" obviously. i'm surprised that they don't blend too well though....one could think that the 201 would fatten up the sm57 tone, but to my ears it's only taking away some of the brutality and impact.

btw, the rectifier sounds better to me :)

imho A is the best one for both amps....sounded most upfront and aggressive. needs a lowpass though.
D was a close second, but i prefered the rawness of A. should stick out in a mix moreso than D too.

between B and C it's interesting, as i could have sworn B was the 201 alone....so i'm surprised to see that it actually has the sm57 blended in. listening with the knowledge which is which it becomes more obvious though.

seems like the 201 has more lows and low mid rumble, whereas the sm57 has the classic "fizz" obviously. i'm surprised that they don't blend too well though....one could think that the 201 would fatten up the sm57 tone, but to my ears it's only taking away some of the brutality and impact.

btw, the rectifier sounds better to me :)

nah, I love the blend of both mics....bear in mind that they're not in the same position here, they've been at the same speaker at the same time, so I could only position one mic at the sweet spot...and in this case that was the 57

I'll record some clips soon with the 201 in the primary position, you'll think differently then I think

Yeah, I dig the 57+201 blend, but actually 201+57 is my least favorite of them all, with the 201 by itself only a bit above it; just too muffled and bloated sounding IMO. As for whether I like the 57+201 or 57 track more, I'd have to hear it in a mix, cuz the added beef of the 201 might not be as nice when it has to compete with the bass!