Micing a small practice amp

The only demo you're gonna make with a 10w amp is of how bad you suck.

Opportunity will always exist for those with the heart and drive to find/create it.

No matter how you present it, boosting low eq on a tiny speaker only leaves one result - garbage.

Is there a bass on this? I don't hear it, you should see how this tone sounds in the context of a full mix.

The only demo you're gonna make with a 10w amp is of how bad you suck.

An A&R guy wouldn't expect every demo he gets to sound like a polished professionally-made recording. POV the band, that's what counts.

No aspirant producer is going to launch a career in making pro CDs based on the results he gets with zero-budget gear, for sure, but that's a different consideration.

What's important is you should be able to hear what's being played, and the sound should at least "describe" what the band want to sound like. Also it should not be physically uncomfortable to listen to.

If an A&R guy likes the songwriting and gets the idea you're the kind of band he's looking for, then he'll want to see you play live, of course. You'll need to borrow/steal/rent better gear for that eventuality if and when it arrives.

Having heard some of the demos which got bands signed the production often does suck - but the performance and songwriting are a different matter, and as long as those can be clearly heard the demo fulfils it's function.

If anyone was ever expected to actually pay to hear a recording I would agreed that higher standards would be called for. But that's not the kind of recording we're cosidering here.

I think I've said everything I want to on this. Repectfully, Mr Kingdom, I don't believe we'll see eye-to-eye on this. We've both made our positions clear, I'm happy to agree to differ, and if you think I'm just a twat that's fine by me also.

I'm off to get some stuff done. Possibly badly - but as well as I can do nonetheless.
:)

I've gotten surprisingly good results from a 4th hand Fender practice amp + BBE Sonic Maximizer (misery loves company, right!) + Tube Screamer (full drive, lots of level) + GOOD MIC PLACEMENT

You may want to try it.

Not trying to brag, just trying to point out that if you're not going to use good equipment, then you might as well use guerilla recording tactics.

PS am I the only one who loves reading Metal Kingdom's posts? I look forward to them

An A&R guy wouldn't expect every demo he gets to sound like a polished professionally-made recording. POV the band, that's what counts.

No aspirant producer is going to launch a career in making pro CDs based on the results he gets with zero-budget gear, for sure, but that's a different consideration.

What's important is you should be able to hear what's being played, and the sound should at least "describe" what the band want to sound like. Also it should not be physically uncomfortable to listen to.

If an A&R guy likes the songwriting and gets the idea you're the kind of band he's looking for, then he'll want to see you play live, of course. You'll need to borrow/steal/rent better gear for that eventuality if and when it arrives.

Having heard some of the demos which got bands signed the production often does suck - but the performance and songwriting are a different matter, and as long as those can be clearly heard the demo fulfils it's function.

If anyone was ever expected to actually pay to hear a recording I would agreed that higher standards would be called for. But that's not the kind of recording we're cosidering here.

I think I've said everything I want to on this. Repectfully, Mr Kingdom, I don't believe we'll see eye-to-eye on this. We've both made our positions clear, I'm happy to agree to differ, and if you think I'm just a twat that's fine by me also.

I'm off to get some stuff done. Possibly badly - but as well as I can do nonetheless.
:)

Now you're proving to anyone who knows better (guys like me that get $$$ to do this) that you don't know what you're talking about. The biz doesn't work like that, and hasn't for quite some time now. What you're saying was partially true back in the early/mid 90's...But you were probably around 10 years old then. So where does all of this, ummm, wisdom come from?

Keep on micing up those shitty little amps and boosting the resonance of the enclosure and floor/walls...It's all you boss.

Not trying to brag, just trying to point out that if you're not going to use good equipment, then you might as well use guerilla recording tactics.

It's not really a question of good vs. bad...Ok, yes it is. "Moving air" is one of the most important aspects of getting a quality guitar sound. Only 10"/12" and larger speakers can do that to the degree that suits loud guitars. Judging by some of the comments here and in other threads, it seems that a lot of people listen for crunch and that's it when judging a guitar sound. There's a lot more to it than that.

Whoa...What's going on here? I think you guys are taking this too seriously?

I always believed that good/bad tones is dependable on individual's point of view(hearing) and are always subjective. Perhaps, if I didnt mention the 10W amp but instead a PODXT or other software simulators or an old vintage cab with unknown cones, the discussion may by now be different:heh:

An interesting discussion nonetheless. Hail!

For those who still cares, here's my another take with louder bass.

Epiloud3.mp3

I always believed that good/bad tones is dependable on individual's point of view(hearing) and are always subjective. Perhaps, if I didnt mention the 10W amp but instead a PODXT or other software simulators or an old vintage cab with unknown cones, the discussion may by now be different

I used to believe in the Tooth Fairy.

You didn't have to say that the amp is small, because it's obvious from the sound. Not being a smartass, just telling the truth.

I agree on the statement that the posted clip is not by any means a particularly good guitar tone, or even a decent one.

However, I guess the point was that the tone is surprisingly good for such crap gear. And for crap gear, I think that sounds pretty good. I keep hearing demos that have a lot worse guitar sound to them. I have always admired people who can get the best out of what they got, and tried to do the same myself. I have been a student 'til now, and thus have had very little funds to get anything but the most critical equipment (a decent guitar and amp for gigging), and hell, I've had a blast trying to spank my guitar->cable->integrated sound card/old SBLive -setup, and I think I have had some pretty decent results. Only now that I can afford it, I have invested in such luxuries as real monitors, a decent interface and even a DI :D So I definately have empathy and appreciation for getting such a tone out of that gear.

I'm by no means a pro, nor do I even have very much experience, but that's just my two cents :)

More than decent gear is very accessible these days. Revalver MkII is only $150. You can "use what you got" all day long, but when it's all said and done you are still limited to the capability/incapability of whatever is being used. Instead of trying to make something be what it isn't, I always choose to work a little bit harder and longer to improve my situation. "Acceptable" isn't good enough. Sorry if I came off like a jerk, but understand that I've had lots of crap gear over the years.