Clayman, double tracking and just phase..

I don't know if this has been said but if you are using white or pink noise to get the closest in phase you can do it in 2 ways:

- flip the phase of one of the tracks (if you use a plugin look for delay compensation or put the same plugin on the other track as said here before) and then try to cancel the tracks joined in mono moving one of the mics. (look for the volume of both, they have to be +/- the same).

or

- don't flip the phase and try to get the fullest (white or pink) noise of both joined together in mono.

If you have doubts of where should you place the mic next to achieve the best in-phase you can record both tracks and look at the waveform and see if it needs to be closer or farther from the speaker. (I use this technique.)

One thing that you have to take in mind is that you will never have the tracks completely in phase either from the same speaker or from different speakers.

Don't be too obsessed with phase because you can have an almost totally in-phase sounds and sound like shit!!! :)

After you have recorded both tracks you can even move tracks to get a better in-phase, or you can even buy a Little Labs IBP. :cool:

Here is a cool article i just found on "The Recording Project"
its about phase while micing a cab with 2 mics
i would copy and paste but its pretty long
http://www.recordingproject.com/articles/article.php?article=25&page=7
i have yet to try this....but it sound like it would work.....what do you guys think?
But isn't phase as simple as zooming in on your events and looking which way the waves go...and making sure they go up and down the same way....am i understanding this right

I read this, and its really ... intelligent. also logic.
The trick is to find the position of the second mic for which happens phase cancellation, once you get that, just invert the phase of the second mic and ...
you got it, the mics are prefectly in phase, and you got yourself a BIGG sound.