Micing an amp.

Reminiscence

Oblique and Nebulous
Nov 1, 2005
Lakewood, CO
I have this shitty little Fender amp. I can get decent sounds out of it, and even grim sounds. Problem is, it may sound good in real waking life, but when I play back what I have recorded, there is this terrible, terrible fuzz sound at the forefront of the recording. I have tried placing the mic at various distances from the amp but I cannot find an equilibrium. Anyone have some tips for micing an amp, such as distance from mic to speaker? Thanks.

swing over to the Andy Sneap forum. Tons of recording nuts over that that can help!

SM57s generally works best really close, almost touching the grill. Get a flashlight and pinpoint exactly where the speaker is. The 57 is usually placed centered with the speaker, or just slightly at an angle. Even a centimeter difference can drastically change the recorded tone, so have someone help you with placement.

You can usually find a good starting point by listing through headphones while nothing is playing, trying to find the point where the mic picks up the most noise. Finding the "sweet spot" depends a lot on room interference and equipment, so there's not much more I can tell you. It just takes a lot of trial and error.

Also, when you're setting EQ and gain levels, get level with the amp. If the amp is on the ground, but you're standing up, then what you actually hear and what the mic "hears" are completely different.

Try recording with slightly less gain than you think that you need. This won't make your signal less powerful, as you might first think, but will eliminate some of the fuzz.

When all else fails, there's always post-recording tricks like using EQ to boost the lows and highs, scooping out most of the mids, adding cab modlng or a slight reverb, and so on.

Most of it's just experience and finding what works best with your equipment, but if you have any questions, then I may be able to answer them or point you in the right direction.

...hope that helps.

A Trace Of Blood said:
I have this shitty little Fender amp. I can get decent sounds out of it, and even grim sounds. Problem is, it may sound good in real waking life, but when I play back what I have recorded, there is this terrible, terrible fuzz sound at the forefront of the recording. I have tried placing the mic at various distances from the amp but I cannot find an equilibrium. Anyone have some tips for micing an amp, such as distance from mic to speaker? Thanks.

Check Out My Thread Over At The Steve Smyth Forum

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241323

Loads of input from Andy Sneap and Various other prodcers and artists. Great info in there.

IronGuillotine said:
SM57s generally works best really close, almost touching the grill. Get a flashlight and pinpoint exactly where the speaker is. The 57 is usually placed centered with the speaker, or just slightly at an angle. Even a centimeter difference can drastically change the recorded tone, so have someone help you with placement.

You can usually find a good starting point by listing through headphones while nothing is playing, trying to find the point where the mic picks up the most noise. Finding the "sweet spot" depends a lot on room interference and equipment, so there's not much more I can tell you. It just takes a lot of trial and error.

Also, when you're setting EQ and gain levels, get level with the amp. If the amp is on the ground, but you're standing up, then what you actually hear and what the mic "hears" are completely different.

Try recording with slightly less gain than you think that you need. This won't make your signal less powerful, as you might first think, but will eliminate some of the fuzz.

When all else fails, there's always post-recording tricks like using EQ to boost the lows and highs, scooping out most of the mids, adding cab modlng or a slight reverb, and so on.

Most of it's just experience and finding what works best with your equipment, but if you have any questions, then I may be able to answer them or point you in the right direction.

...hope that helps.

This post was immensely helpful. It is too late to turn on my gear now but hopefully this advice yields spectacular results tomorrow. Thank you.

Guitarguru777 - Lazy said:
Check Out My Thread Over At The Steve Smyth Forum

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241323

Loads of input from Andy Sneap and Various other prodcers and artists. Great info in there.

GREAT thread. It's late and I'm dead tired right now (too many Bloody Marys), but I'll definitely read the rest tomorrow. I did read the first post though, and it was very informative and accurate. I really like the frequency chart as well...

Sometimes I use my mic (also a SM57) like an ambiental mic, placed a little far away from the amp and record on two separeted channels. One from the mic and another coming directly from the "send" output of the amp. Later I mix this two channels to get a sound more similar to the one I hear when I play.

Back when I was poor, I had a little Peavey Rage. I would put the amp in the closet and put the mic inside the amp, behind the speaker and cover it with blankets and pillows. That was the best sound I EVER recorded on tape. That day....... Peavey>>>>>> Marshall.

I also at one time built a 3`x 3` box to put the amp in, the sound was good, but when I drilled one hole into the back of the box to get the mic in and out easier the sound changed from good to great.

There are no rules, Just fuck around with what you got.

I did have a decent amp setup for a while but I have had to sell it because we're moving. Now I'm forced to make due with this piece of shit. Good thing I'm just recording black metal though. Still, this terrible fuzz all over the recording is too shitty even for black metal. I need to play around a bit today.

Yeah, got called into work today, have people working in my room tomorrow and then work at night...won't get to work on this until Friday unfortunetly. I like to make cheesy black metal songs in my spare time so this won't really be music to impress anyone, heh. Just can't have that damned fuzz there.