micing dinstances

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I usually read on these pages about mics placing.
I have a doubt: when you say for example "the mic is 1inch from the edge of the cone" do you mean from the edge of the cone, or 1inch from the external grill (next to the edge of the cone)?
I ask this because if I have a cab with removable grill, I can put the mic very close to the speaker (a mesa/marshall cab has fixed grill and I don't know how much the speakers are far from the grill)
Thank you

I'd say when someone posts that the mic is 1 inch from the edge of the cone would mean that the mic is still not any closer than it could be with a grill on the cab - i.e. any distance from that plane and farther away. For me, I mic my cabs with a mic about 2 inches from the edge of the dustcap, with the mic about 2 inches from where the grill cloth would be. I have a removable metal grill for my cabs, so I don't have a grill at all but would still use it as a descriptive term for placement.

the mic is 1 inch from the edge of the cone

...is going to usually mean that the mic is 1" above/below/left/right of the cone

as for distance, anything from straight on the grill to 2-3" back is fairly standard for close-miking situations