Micing up a Roland Jazz Chorus JC 120? Any tips?

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
So it is a true stereo amp, I am getting it dropped off tonight.

I use SM57, is that suitable for cleans? I want to try and capture the stereo chorus via 2 mics panned hard L and R (I presume)

Does anyone have experience with this amp?

I know pickups etc etc have a bearing but I would like some ballpark micing techniques for this amp.

I've miced it in several ways, one mic, two mics, three mics, km184, m160, c414, sm57....
they all work....
I think the chorus FX is only sent to one of the speakers, so you'll have to try around a bit

I've miced it in several ways, one mic, two mics, three mics, km184, m160, c414, sm57....
they all work....
I think the chorus FX is only sent to one of the speakers, so you'll have to try around a bit

Interesting thanks. Does anyone have any goto settings on the amp itself?

I didn't know ANYONE tried to use the gain channel on the Roland JC amps really. Always seemed like you buy one, and then you use the clean channel and forget the other channel.

I didn't know ANYONE tried to use the gain channel on the Roland JC amps really. Always seemed like you buy one, and then you use the clean channel and forget the other channel.

But what a clean channel it is - so sweet sounding.

But what a clean channel it is - so sweet sounding.

oh god yea, we had 2 of them in the studio in college. they were epic! very difficult to pull some gain from the things, we really had to crank it up to overdrive it and even at that it by no means matched the standard OD on the fender deville or the deluxe.

i always found though that they were lacking high end. maybe our 2 were dying off