Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Micr.d.t – Mogwai R.I.P.
Self-released – Demo – 2003
By Russell Garwood

Micr.d.t, a.k.a. noisemonger Stuart, is back with more of his dark humour, entertaining song titles and electronic mayhem. His noise-based sound comprises samples, synths and drums, and shares elements with digital hardcore, industrial, minimalistic electronica, ambient, gabber, and dance music. As with his previous release, Stuart has neatly found and maintained the thin line between extremity and accessibility; there is noise juxtaposed by melodies, random sounds gelled by rhythm and effects contrasting with organic sounds. This is aided by more structured songs, which help avoid the disjointed feel much harsher electronics revels in.

Standout tracks have to be opener "Henryportrait" for its compelling melodies, almost funky bass and subtle transformation to static, and "Black My Snitch Up" which has rave-ish drums and wailing synths. Micr.d.t has successfully provided another demo which has lost none of its caustic edge but is catchier than ever – quite an achievement. This is definitely a release fans of harsher electronica and dance will love, but I can see many in the metal community appreciating "Mogwai R.I.P." as well. I look forward to hearing more..