Microphones for recording vocals and guitar/bass

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
Hey ya'll, I just got an Mbox 2 for Christmas and was wondering if anybody here could recommend any good mics for recording vocals, and guitar and bass. I've always gotten a strong sense of musicians on this forum so I figured I would ask here! Any suggestions other than the standard Shure Sm57 and Sm58 I would be interested in hearing! I'm looking to spend only a few hundred on each, but feel free to recommend anything that any of you have had good experiences with! Share recordings if you have! Thanks everyone and happy new year!

Recording music is only a hobby of mine so this probably isn't the best mic to use but for vocals and guitar I've been using the AKG Perception 200 Condensor mic. I'm satisfied with the results.

If you're going to use the mic in a studio or for homerecording, a condenser is the way to go. The Studio Projects B1 is a killer mic with a really nice pricetag (probably around $100 or so). We've used it when recording vocals for our album and the result is great every time. We've tried a couple of other mics as well, ranging from under $100 to $200 but no other mic has been as nice as this one.

Good luck with the recordings!

Edit: You can hear some of our recordings at www.myspace.com/zombiedestruktion . It's death metal (don't know what style you are going to record), but it might give you an idea of what the mic is capable of.

For Bass you need a mic that it's different to the mics you'd use for Vocals or acoustic guitar.
But you can play the bass directly into the pre-amp. That is a good and cheap way.
For electric guitar with loud amps you can use the sm57 or try Audix i5

For vocals I think the mentioned Studio Project mics are good for the money. Or try Rode mics (from Australia), I think they're great.