Microphones?

Fleshless

New Metal Member
Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can help here.... I'm looking for a microphone that's not going to just make that blowing-into-it sound when I do a death growl. The mike I have just now does that. It's useless. I do expel a lot of air when I do this but I suppose that's normal. But plenty of death metal bands get by without this problem. Am I doing something strange to get all this air, or have I just got a shit microphone... and if so (I'm expecting it's this) what would you recommend I use? Thanks!

If you can, try a few out, and don't be swayed by price. I had an expensive mic that broke, so I went to get a new one. After standing in the shop for 20 mins without getting help (standing infront of the mic cabinet, and I was there before some guy in a suit, who got instant attention when he walked in!), I went across the road to a crappy electronics shop, and got a $70 one (I was gonna buy a $250 one at the music shop), and it makes a MUCH better sound than my old expensive one ever did. I think it's a Digitor or something like that.

The best thing to do is try as many out as possible - that's what I did and found that the Shure mics didn't suit my voice but found a Beyer Dynamic one that is perfect

Also try using a foam wind shield on top of the one that comes on the mic to get rid of the blowing sounds (a sock works well for studio work but looks shite live!)