mic's

Mar 26, 2011
Edmonton, Canada
Hey,

Since I come to these forums a lot and see a lot of good advice given to people here, I thought I'd ask about mic's. I am looking into investing 2 grand in some more mics. I have a half decent set I think so far with a nt1, 2 sm57's, a sm7b, and a at4040, but I thought I'd ask for peoples opinions on other mic's. If anyone can share their opinion it would be much appreciated.

What are you going to be using them for? Drums? Guitars? Vocals? All of the above?

You've got a pretty solid collection there already. Just depends on what you're needing. No point in getting an Audix D6 if you're programming your drums for example.

invest in some matched overheads.

km184's are a staple choice but i would recommend the josephson c42 (matched).

these rival 184's in every way... and a much better price-point. (they actually resemble the vintage 84's -sonically- which are freaking amazing)!

then again, there are hundreds of small companies out there with excellent mic selections... you just need to do some serious research.

here is a little review:

watch it in 720p ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to expand my mic collection so I can record anything. my main focus right now is probably the drums, since I get a lot of guys that want an old vintage drum sound. I was thinking of buying a pair of NT5's and a few MD421's, but after hearing that C42 I think I may drop the NT5's.

Thanks Tim

1)

Get a bunch of great vocal microphone(s). you said you already have the SM7B which is great for screaming vox and rap, but also get a SM58 for those who have a mic fright and then later when you can afford it, Neumann U87 for all the other vocal types. It's a bit pricey tho, but for some reason even when I do blind tests with clients and friends, we usually go 95% of the time for the U87 for the lead vocals. It just cuts thru with ease in the mix.

2)

Get 2-4 good quality DI-boxes and 1 reamp box. 2 x Countryman Type 85 and 1 x Radial Reamp for example. They both will last you a good 20-30 years unless you treat them like your ladies. And I don't mean plugging your male end to all the posssible holes in the box.

3)

In general if you are going for the "mic everything on a drumset", you need:
1-2 mics per kick
1-3 mics per snare
1 mic per toms
1 mic per hihat
1 mic per ride
1 mic per china
1 mic per extra cymbal pair
2 main overhead mics
2-4 room mics
5-8 triggers

4)

For guitars, the pair of 57's will do just fine, but try some nice ribbon mic(s) too, you can find them relatively cheap nowadays. You can have the starting sound a bit fizzier, but the ribbon mics won't catch it as they are a bit darker in general

~2k on drums mics?
get some high end overheads like timislegend said (in my opinion cymbals make or break a mix, especially super clean mixes like joeys)
a few 421s for toms
an audix d6 for the kick (maybe another mic for the kick too)
then spot mics for ride cymbals or splashes etc.

you can use your sm7b on hats, 57's on snare, any of your other mics as room mic, or even both of them.

that's a good looking setup in my opinion