What mics would be best for a heavy band

aaronxrus

New Metal Member
May 10, 2011
I am a singer in a hardcore/metalcore band and I have been looking for better mic's to use. FYI we are not one of those bands that turns the amps up so load you can't hear the vocals or drums. We run all this stuff(listed below) for the type of tone we want. If you have further questions about our gear, I will do my best to answer them, but please keep in mind that I am the singer.

We have one guitarist that run's two heads, a krank and 5150. One cab is custom which I believe is 4x12/and one 15. Then he runs a mesa 4x12 for the other side of the stage. The bassist run's a ampeg svt pro with a custom cab, I think it's 3x10/3x12/6"/tweeter. Both players use ESP's with EMG's and I think we play in C. The reason I'm here is because we are always looking to sound better, we will play a small basement show then turn around and play at a large venue, so we want to have as much control over how we sound as possible.

Anyway, I know that most venues use SM57's to mic interments, but I feel like due to our set up, there could be something better. If so, what mic's would you suggest? Also I know most venue's go DI with bass, but after playing around while recording we liked how the bass sounded both mic'd and DI. We have came across some venues that mic'd bass.

Right now I am using a beta58. Don't get me wrong it's great and I like it, defiantly a lot more clarity to it than other mic's I've used. But my question is, for someone that does vocals is there anything better? When I record I typically record 2 tracks to give it that power house effect.

I've been doing a lot of research but it seem's like everyone talks about stuff for rock bands. I don't know anyone personally that really know's their stuff when it comes to mic's so any help would be extremely appreciated.

thanks

You're all set honestly. A Beta58 is great(I still use the SM58 and love it), just make sure if you bring that to a venue you keep your eyes on it the entire night or someone WILL make it disappear. You don't need instrument mics for basement shows and venues generally have 57's as you said so you are really all set there too. There may be "better" mics, but bringing your own mics usually isn't necessary. If you want to get some 57's of your own or get higher quality recording mics(which you wouldn't want to bring to a venue due to their fragility). We use 57's for a lot of recording, half of our guitar tracks are done with a 57 and we use two for the snare and a couple for a couple toms because they sounded better then the drum mics we have. You can hear what it all sounds like at the bandcamp link below.

That's just what I've learned over the past 8 or so years playing in bands. Hope it helps.

Audix is my mic brand, currently. Using a Fusion set with an i5 on my kit and it's awesome.

You're all set honestly. A Beta58 is great(I still use the SM58 and love it), just make sure if you bring that to a venue you keep your eyes on it the entire night or someone WILL make it disappear. You don't need instrument mics for basement shows and venues generally have 57's as you said so you are really all set there too. There may be "better" mics, but bringing your own mics usually isn't necessary. If you want to get some 57's of your own or get higher quality recording mics(which you wouldn't want to bring to a venue due to their fragility). We use 57's for a lot of recording, half of our guitar tracks are done with a 57 and we use two for the snare and a couple for a couple toms because they sounded better then the drum mics we have. You can hear what it all sounds like at the bandcamp link below.

That's just what I've learned over the past 8 or so years playing in bands. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the response, it makes me feel better seeing someone say that. I've actually already ran into a "disappearance" haha with my mic at one of my bands recent shows. After our set, I set the mic it down on the side of the stage, helped take the equipment off and talk to some people… next thing I know I'm frantically looking around for it. I found it to the side steps, underneath the stage, I had a funny feeling that it just happened to "fall" where I found it. I learned my lesson.

Anyway thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to give me some pointers.

P.S. I'm going to be jamming out to your band for the rest of the night now ;)

Any Mics... This is metal man... you would not sing a song of Josh Gorban... just Scream on it... even it price only 5 Cents... Lol