mid-period Saxon?

I've been on a huge Saxon kick lately and am pondering purchasing their late 80s / early 90s albums.
Can anyone tell me about "Desting", "Solid Ball of Rock", "Forever Free", and whatever else may have been released at that time?

I'd stay away from Destiny, which was more commercial hard rock and not too good IMO. They pretty much came back to their heavier sound on Solid Ball Of Rock, which has some pretty good songs. Forever Free is pretty good stuff too, but has some lesser songs. Dogs Of War was better IMO, but their best was yet to come, with all albums from 1997's Unleash The Beast till this year's The Inner Sanctum, beign the best of their carreer IMO.

"Destiny" to me is really weak. They jumped in the guitar synth wagon (following Iron Maien and Judas Priest) and the result is kind of poppy. Nevertheless some song are really good including their cover of Christopher Cross 'Ride Like The Wind'. My faves: 'S.O.S', 'Jericho Siren', "Red Alert'

"Solid Ball Of Rock": great album, the inclusion of Nibbs Carter brought not only a great bass player but a good composer, they left him a lot on the album. My faves: 'Solid Ball Of Rock', 'Crash Dive', 'Altar Of The Gods'

"Forever Free": was difficult to get and the album is not very solid still have good songs to rescue. My faves: 'Forever Free', 'Cloud Nine', 'Nighthunter'

"Dogs Of War": the last with Graham Oliver but a great album, Nigel Glocker composiitons shines a lot. Very powerful and renewed. My faves: 'Dogs Of War', Yesterday's Gone, 'Give It All Away', 'Big Twin Rolling'

"Unleashed The Beast": great heavy album now with Doug Scarrat on guitars, only a couple of "fillers" all quality and energy. My faves: 'Ministry Of Fools', 'The Preacher', All Hell's Breaking Loose, 'Bloodletter', 'Unleast The Beast'

"Metalhead": last album of the 90's, kind of dissapointing especially between UTB and KG. Sill has its moments. My faves: 'Sea of Life', 'Conquistador', 'All Guns Blazing'

It´s always good talking about Saxon, one the best live bands (most professional, most passionate) ever. I love their career and that´s my opinion.

Destiny: I agree with Wyvern. It´s quite poppy. It was their last attemp of being big in US like Maiden or Judas did. However, listening the album nowadays, it owns fine moments. Christopher Cross "Ride like the wind" is great (and a spanish fans favourite), "SOS", "Jericho silent" or "song for Emma" are very good, and "I can´t wait anymore" is an OK pop song. My rating: 6,5/10

Solid Ball Of Rock: It´s not exactly a "back to the roots", It´s more the next Saxon decade sound. They started to be heavier than ever (not with this album but with the next). In "SOlid..." they got 2 of my faves Saxon songs: "SOlid ball of rock" and "Requiem (we will remember). A strong effort. 7/10

Forever FRee. I consider it an "ups and downs" album. Amazing songs ("Forever free", "Hole in the sky" or "Iron wheels") mixed with fillers (that cover version from CArl Dixon "I just wanna make love to you"... ugfff) 6,5/10

DOgs Of War: An underrated album For me, best Saxon album from the 90´s. Very solid and with overwhelming tunes. Eseentials: 2Dogs of war", "Demolition alley", "Great white buffalo"... 8/10

Unleashed the Beast: I consider new album (amazing "The inner sanctum") recovers the "Unleashed the beast" spirit. I thing UTB you can´t find a "hit" but there are no fillers. All good songs. 7/10

Metalhead: I agree again with Wyvern. It´s not a great album but Saxon loves to play some of its songs. For me, "Conquistadores", "Travellers in time" and "Sea of life" are excellent. The rest... not bad. 6,5/10

Metalhead: I agree again with Wyvern. It´s not a great album but Saxon loves to play some of its songs. For me, "Conquistadores", "Travellers in time" and "Sea of life" are excellent. The rest... not bad. 6,5/10

I don't agree, as Metalhead is a killer album in my book, one of my faves of Saxon. Great production, nice heavy songs full of heavy riffing.

As a Saxon fan from the 80s I stopped buying saxon releases after Destiny. I would stay clear of that record until you catch up with all the other records that you missed out on. I started to buy Saxon records again after I kept reading how great Lionheart was.

I finally picked it up and was blown away. Every song on Lionheart is awesome. The title track is as worthy a follow up to crusader as you will ever get. Each song is powerful and catchy ...a great Cd from start to finish.

As a longtime saxon fan I think its there best Cd to date . Check out reviews and the saxon forums ....you will see other fans feel the same way.

I then went back and purchased all the other stuff I missed out on. I would grab Metalhead and Unleash the Beast next..very heavy records. Killing Ground, Solid ball and Dogs of War are all good :headbang: