Saxon

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I picked up (finally) the Saxon - To Hell and Back Again DVD recently. Very cool. I certainly recommend it to any Saxon fan - it's a good document of the recording of Lionheart, the tour, and a few other little extra things. It's got a lot of material.

Every once in awhile I unleash a little diatribe about them...so here's another - haha.

When N.W.O.B.H.M. was just hitting, for a short, short time there, Maiden, Priest, and Saxon were seen as the big 3. Lots of folks forget about Saxon since they never really caught on in America, but for my money they might be the most consistent of the three. Somehow there 2 or 3 bad albums in the late eighties are remembered as a huge sellout period, and maybe it was a bit, but they've been releasing great records (again), at least since Solid Ball of Rock, which dates back to 91, and that after releasing a bunch of great records in the late 70's/early 80's. I'd really have to think hard on it if I had to choose between keeping my Saxon records or my Maiden records. They remain at the top of my, "have to see 'em live before they quit," list...and well, Saxon just freaking rules. That's all.

Anyway, the DVD is worth owning, and I can't wait for the new record - and the American tour...if there ever is one again.

I definitively agree with the FACT that Saxon has been the most consistent band out of NWOBHM (btw, Priest is not part of it since they started with a record in 1974), despite line-up changes and some weak albums towards the end of the 80's, they have keep on playing metal the way it should be. I was playing their debut some days ago and I got surprised listening to it how good Biff keeps his voice (in studio at least :D) if you compare his vocals with their new effort "Into The Labyrinth".

Maybe the fact that they never become a big act like Maiden preserve them from going out of their minds and change their sound, also kudos to them for never sold out all this years.

Pull your head back
Hold your hands high
Shake your body
If it's too loud
And you're burning hot
fill your heads
With heavy metal thunder
Heavy metal thunder

i just recently discovered saxon, I think this band kicks ass and i agree with what your saying about how they are often overlooked in being one of the driving forces in the NWOBHM.

btw i heard they were touring with iced earth. Does anybody know if they are coming to the states at all because i looked online but i wasn't sure if they were going to release more dates in the future?

thanks in advance

So far there's only one confirmed date for USA:

20.08.2009 US Algona, Iowa Rock Gone Wild Festival

IMO, Saxon is the classic hard and heavy metal with best releases since the 90´s. Albums like "solid ball of rock", "Dogs of war", "Killing ground" or "Lionheart" are excellent stuff. Overall far better than their records between 1984-88.

I guess they focused on trying to break in the US market with "easy listening" songs and they failed. That´s why they aren´t considered at the same label (or near) as Judas or Maiden.

However, in albums like "Crusader", "Innocence is no excuse", "Rock the nations" or "Destiny" are a lot of fillers but some killers. I´m talking about: "Crusader", "A little bit of what you fancy", "Broken heroes", "Rock n rock gypsy" or the migthy "Ride like the wind" cover.

I only truly 'discovered' Saxon about 5 years ago so I dont have 'nostalgia' clouding my view of the band. And while they have indeed been great since "Dogs of War" on, they released some weak/bland albums in the mid 80s beginning with Crusader that taints their legacy somewhat. "Innocence is No Excuse" was my first exposure to them back in 1985 due to the awesome Broken Heroes. I quickly bought the album but was shocked and disappointed at the rest of the songs. Needless to say, I didn't buy another Saxon album until "Killing Ground" a few years back. While Priest released "Turbo", Saxon released three Turbos!
So it's hard for me to put this band on the same pedastal as Maiden, Priest. They're just a notch below.

Your view is certainly not wrong, Soundmaster, though I think the reason I hold them in such high regard is they are making more consistently good records than the other two...so late in their career. Their lame period really just looks like a bit of a diversion now. Priest, for instance, also had Ram It Down which was mediocre at best...and their latest two records, while not truly bad in any sense, lack the focus of the new Saxon records. Saxon is the one of the three that has embraced some of the modern styles of riffing while maintaining their identity. That is, they sound more like a young band to me, whereas Priest and Maiden (who both hold the crown, deservedly) sound like they are older versions of themselves. Not a bad thing at all...but Saxon somehow is making records that you might expect from a band of 30 year-olds who have respect for the past. Plus, I just love that Biff Byford's voice - ha ha.

Saxon to me epitomize what a heavy metal band should be about. They have withstand line-up changes, label changes, bad distribution, lack of proper touring worldwide, legal issues, weak albums and yet in all these 30 years they never sold out, they never stop playing and they never stop producing albums. Biff keeps his voice in good shape after all these years and yes their albums sometimes have fillers (even bad ones) but they ALWAYS have at least one GREAT song that save the album. Besides they have a very diverse lyric approach including myths, war, heavy metal, history, party and always delivering the stuff right.

Up to this day I still buy their records blindly (yes I do downoad them first just to check, but I know I'm going to buy them anyway) a rare privilige that only Motorhead share in my case.

Destiny also has two great galloping metal songs - Red Alert and Jericho Siren. That's actually a very strong record.
I haven't heard this album in ages but Jericho Siren in particular is a really, really cool song. Destiny certainly isn't as bad as it's often portrayed.

Although I never had their debut or Innocence... I owned all the rest up to and including Destiny. I lost track of them because by '89 I was hunting only for extreme music.

I've heard one of their more recent tracks and it sounded heavy and decent but I haven't felt the need to run out and buy it - I guess I'm presently satisfied with my 80's Saxon collection. However, I have bought both the new Priest and Maiden and enjoyed them immediately...

I haven't heard this album in ages but Jericho Siren in particular is a really, really cool song. Destiny certainly isn't as bad as it's often portrayed.

Although I never had their debut or Innocence... I owned all the rest up to and including Destiny. I lost track of them because by '89 I was hunting only for extreme music.

I've heard one of their more recent tracks and it sounded heavy and decent but I haven't felt the need to run out and buy it - I guess I'm presently satisfied with my 80's Saxon collection. However, I have bought both the new Priest and Maiden and enjoyed them immediately...

I wandered off from Saxon back in the day for just the same reason you did. I'm a huge fan of the early stuff...but I'm completely sold on the new stuff. If you try something new, make it Lionheart - one of their best ever.

I wandered off from Saxon back in the day for just the same reason you did. I'm a huge fan of the early stuff...but I'm completely sold on the new stuff. If you try something new, make it Lionheart - one of their best ever.
Alright, Wiz, will keep that in mind.:)

Saxon are one of the all time classic metal bands in my opinion
their best songs are, to hell and back again, Forever free,an the bands play on, denim and leather, actually there are probably too many to name, great band:p