Mid-Year Favorites????

I am still digesting some of this years releases, so they will not go on my list until later in the year year if they make it....for now

Sunburst - Fragments of Creation
Innerwish - S/T
Myrath - Legacy
Redemption – The Art of Loss
Nordic Union - S/T
The New Black – A Monster’s Life
Cloudscape - The Voice of Reason

Looking forward to more than a few releases upcoming, Evergrey! , Kobra and the Lotus, Solution 45!

Bear

Still working through 2015 releases that I have noted to check out. Regards 2016, I don't have anything that hasn't already been mentioned:

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Myrath – Legacy
Steven Wilson - 4.5
Primal Fear - Rulebreaker
Circus Maximus – Havoc
Megadeth - Dystopia

I am still digesting some of this years releases, so they will not go on my list until later in the year year if they make it....for now

Sunburst - Fragments of Creation
Innerwish - S/T
Myrath - Legacy
Nordic Union - S/T
The New Black – A Monster’s Life
Cloudscape - The Voice of Reason

Looking forward to more than a few releases upcoming, Evergrey! , Kobra and the Lotus, Solution 45!

Bear

Nice to see some love for the new The New Black! It rocks! Great picks brother Bear! :)

Nice to see some love for the new The New Black! It rocks! Great picks brother Bear! :)
I was actually a little shocked by how good this band was, I would have thought they were from Tennessee or something haha!! Good stuff!!!And from Bavaria too!!!

Bear

For me, there hasn't been much that has stood out so far.

However, the new Gojira album is absolutely killer! I love the slight change in direction. It'll probably end up being a fairly polarizing album though, so your results may vary...

So little the last coupla years that has really done much for me...even bands that I have listened to a lot in the past....this year...

Crystal Palace - Dawn of Eternity
Cosmograf - The Unreasonable Silence

....have been getting much of my ear time of late.....along with the new Airbag release: Disconnected

#1 by a wide margin:
UADA - "Devoid of Light"

#2 - 10 in alphabetical order:
Borknagar - "Winter Thrice"
Chthe'ilist - "Le Dernier Crepuscle"
Dynazty - "Titanic Mass"
Moonsorrow - "Jumalten Aika"
Myrath - "Legacy"
Nadra - "Allir vegir til glotunar"
Omnium Gatherum - "Grey Heavens"
Redemption - "The Art of Loss"
Vektor - "Terminal Redux"

Some of your picks are definitely up there for me too. Vektor, Borknagar, and Chthe'ilist have all kicked my ass this year. New Myrath is fucking solid as well. I need to listen to that Omnium Gatherum album; I've heard good things about it. And I've seen Uada compared to Mgla, which intrigues me (since Mgla had my AOTY and favorite live performance last year...)

You seem to be the only one liking it... I didn't hear anything from this album, but just read very negative thoughts and reviews...

A big criticism is he is playing everything (except drums) and doing the vocals himself. I found the album to be very consistent. Its mostly instrumental with minimal vocals. I like instrumental albums sometimes, and for me this is a good one. Of course Yngwie is technically excellent, but I believe he also puts some feeling into his playing style on this album. As any music, some will hate and some won't and this is expected. Basically if you're prone to liking Yngwie you be more likely to appreciate World on Fire. Those who think he hasn't put out a good album since "Seventh Sign" won't be open to liking this one either.

And I've seen Uada compared to Mgla, which intrigues me (since Mgla had my AOTY and favorite live performance last year...)
If you're a fan of Mgla, I'd be shocked if you didn't like UADA. Their sound is rooted more in Swedish black metal, a la Dawn and Dissection, but there's some definite Mgla influence along with a bit of the organic touch (for lack of a better word) that's inescapable for a band from Portland.

If you haven't been impressed by anything this year then you're not looking hard enough. Most of the albums on most of the lists at the following link are quite good. Some are truly exceptional. Keep in mind these are not lists of power or progressive bands.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2016/...-an-invitation-for-readers-lists/#more-110278
2 things in this:
Given the site and its audience Haken is putting in a hell of a showing, and that's cool to see.
Just because you've very versed in your own personal favorite flavors of metal doesn't mean there's not still a whole ocean of shit you've never heard of out there, lol.

2 things in this:
Given the site and its audience Haken is putting in a hell of a showing, and that's cool to see.
Just because you've very versed in your own personal favorite flavors of metal doesn't mean there's not still a whole ocean of shit you've never heard of out there, lol.

I don't understand the second part of this post at all. What does me providing a link to 2016 releases have to do with bands I haven't heard yet?

I don't understand the second part of this post at all. What does me providing a link to 2016 releases have to do with bands I haven't heard yet?
I did not mean you specifically, but the broader "you." Like, I know a lot about power, prog, and djent stuff, but there's a whole world of black and death that I've barely touched. It's a reminder that it's pretty much impossible to know everything about metal.

To date, I've only bought 3 discs released in 2016...

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight (9.5/10)
Lords of Black - II (8/10)
Mob Rules - Tales from Beyond (8/10)