Mikael, Opeth gig list - questions for you

carven

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
A month ago or so, we decided with Cyanopsis that it would be interesting to recreate the whole opeth gig list ... not easy but ...
First I had stored in a corner of my hard drive all 2001 tourdates.
Then I gathered info from opeth homepages for 2000 gigs, then on this very forum, Lee was kind enough to unearth an old fax with 96 tourdates...
Also we went through various biographies, interviews, bootleg lists etc... all over the internet. And I have some questions that remain without answers. Let's go :

---------------------------------------

1. Mini tour w/ Morbid Angel & The Blood Divine - June 1996 :

a) It is said you were featured for three dates with The Blood Divine in UK, but that you only played two. These dates were :
Jun 18 - Birmingham : The Foundry
Jun 19 - Bradford : Rio's
Jun 20 - London : Astoria
(found in Morbid Angel 'Entangled in Chaos' live cd's booklet which features all M. A. tourdates for 1995 & 1996)
I know London was played and I think Bradford was too... could you confirm it was in Birmingham where Morbid Angel used all the soundcheck time that you weren't able to play as well as TBD?

b) And well at the same time, do you remember having played another date in Ashton-under-Lyne in the suburbs of Manchester, at the Witchwood pub ? (We've seen a few references about to this one with Cyanopsis, it's a big mystery for us : it is said to having been played on Jun 17 or Jun 19, weird ???)

2. October/ November 1995 : it is stated you did a couple of gigs in UK (three I read somewhere...)

a) You played the Halloween gig at Astoria with Impaled Nazarene : was it on Oct 29 / Oct 30 or Oct 31 ?? I would bet on Oct 31, god only knows why eheh !

b) The day before you did some sort of warm up gig at the White Horse Pub in High Wycombe (Lee told us so on this very forum), yes ?

c) Then where was the third and last gig, wasn't it at The Borderline, London, some days later ???

3. Then (last one but not least !!!) after the mini tour with Morbid Angel, you said in an interview : "We've played live about fifteen times, which is not much. We expect to play more in a near future but I am not sure as yet! "
Well I can more or less justify three gigs in 1991 and the five ones I am discussing above in 95/96... thus there are 6 or 7 shows left ... argh we have to find these ones ! I supposed you played these gigs in Sweden between 92 and 94, no ?? do you have any recollections about these shows ?

I am pretty much into details, which means venue / city + exact date (day / month / year) ...
My most perfect dream about it comes with the whole gig list with numbered gigs : see what I mean ? from gig 001, gig 002, etc... to gig 1xx ...
I hope I didn't bother anyone here and that you could follow me in this quest, yeah I am pretty crazy, this is a real challenge for me now. Like a game and I want to finish it and reach final level, eheh !!!
I just turned internet upside down and torn it until the last info came out !! And now ...

Well, Mike, if you could help to fill in the blanks in Opeth gig list, that would be awesome ! Sorry for torturing your brain that way ! And thanks in advance !

If any other of you here has any info, even just one single date, feel free to help the quest !!!

could you confirm it was in Birmingham where Morbid Angel used all the soundcheck time that you weren't able to play as well as TBD?

Yes. I pulled the show because there was no space on stage for even a drumkit, and Morbid wouldn't allow the use of theirs. Morbid were also recordinga live album and there were only about four channels on the desk that the support bands would be able to use.

do you remember having played another date in Ashton-under-Lyne in the suburbs of Manchester, at the Witchwood pub ?

This was the first night on the 17th (audience of about 20 :)), but the band also played a warm-up at the White Horse in High Wycombe the night before (which I have on video, btw..).

b) The day before you did some sort of warm up gig at the White Horse Pub in High Wycombe (Lee told us so on this very forum), yes ?

Yes.

c) Then where was the third and last gig, wasn't it at The Borderline, London, some days later ???

yes, supporting Gommorah.

Hope this helps

lee

well thanks Transparent to have "unearthed" my post !!
i had almost forgotten about it ;)

and Lee, once again, thanks a lot
but this warm up gig in high wycombe hhhmm was :
- before the gig in ashton and the mini tour w/ Morbid Angel in june 96, or

- before the gig at astoria with Impaled Nazarene in oct 95

well the way you answered my questions leads m to think both eheh

thanks a lot
I think the only one who can answer now the questions about earlier gigs is ...

Arrghh, that's tough questions. I can't really remember everything and certainly no dates.

Up to the MA gigs we did ( as far as I can remember)

SWEDEN:
Sundbyberg 1991 (with Therion, Authorize and Excruciate)
Gothenbourg - Blå fågeln -91 (with At the gates, Therion, Megaslaughter, Desecrator and Sarcazm)
Akalla - Träff - 1991 or 92(with Asphyx and Desultory)
Huddinge - Huset -93 (with Moahni moahna and Devoured)
Huddinge - Huset -93 (with Dismember, At the gates, Ceremonial oath and more?)
Eskilstuna 1994 (with Dismember...this gig we did all of "Orchid" apart from the instrumentals!)

UK 1995
High Wycombe - White horse
London astoria (with Impaled Nazarene, Ved buens ende, Hecate enthroned and more)
London Borderline (with Gomorrah)

UK 1996
Wycombe - white horse (??? Lee?? Did we do this? I know we did Black rose immortal at the soundcheck...yes I'm pretty sure we did this)
Manchester - Witchwood (with Blood divine)
MORBID ANGEL
Birmingham - cancelled
Bradford - Rio
London - Astoria 2

I think that's it, but I might be forgetting some.
Hope it helps

Wycombe - white horse (??? Lee?? Did we do this? I know we did Black rose immortal at the soundcheck...yes I'm pretty sure we did this)

Yeah, I have it on video. You played with Scarabaeus (local band) and used their gear.

London astoria (with Impaled Nazarene, Ved buens ende, Hecate enthroned and more)

The Marrionettes were the first band on the bill, and the only band you missed off.

I remember the ugly lesbian who ran Misanthropy (The Candlelight graveyard - she should have paid me royalties..hehe) getting the bill changed with the promoter Mike (ever the loyal, truthful guy...) so that Veds Bell End went on after Opeth. Her reward? VBE were bottled off stage and the singer flounced off in a strop.

Laugh? I nearly pissed my knickers. :)

Lee B