Mikael, please respond! It's for school!...

ConvergeNerd

Mar 18, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Okay, so I'm in a college filmmaking class right now, and we have to shoot a short movie and polish off by the end of the semester. Well, I figured it would be neat to capture the concept of Still Life and put it on the screen. This is strictly a student project, but I wondered if I need your permission, in case I want to enter it enter a couple of small festivals.

Mikael, are you out there!?

Okay, so I'm in a college filmmaking class right now, and we have to shoot a short movie and polish off by the end of the semester. Well, I figured it would be neat to capture the concept of Still Life and put it on the screen. This is strictly a student project, but I wondered if I need your permission, in case I want to enter it enter a couple of small festivals.

Come on Mike! its for school!

I'd be interested to see this actually.

Mike does often respond to threads addressing him, but Id say he mightnt be able to give you permission simply over the web. There is probably a bunch of legal stuff concerning gaining permission from record labels and such. But then Im not entirely sure.:err:

I'd say if you make the video just based of the story of Still Life, there wouldn't be any need for permission, but if you put any Opeth music in the video and you plan on entering festivals, you probably do need written consent.

Don't schools have a sort of immunity to copyright infringement when stuff is credited or something?

Yeah, copyrighted material used for educational purposes is pretty much free from copyright law. I've gotten away with it like that before for college work.

Mate, if eventually you end up making this vid, show it to me sometime! I'm intruiged

I would think it to be ok as long as you site the useage of copyrighted material..in the credits...and kept it a non-profit affair.....

If he's making a video of it, its a derivative work and thus compulsory. He has the right to make it, but he would owe the standard rate for any reproductions he makes. He would have been better off not asking.

I guess since I left Mike had no reason to read these forums anymore... :p

If your project is strictly for educational purposes, then you're exempt from copyright laws. I'm sure Mike won't mind you entering it into film festivals.. I mean, hell, half of Opeth's song names and lyrical characters are ripped off.

If you make your story a unique enough interpretation, I don't think there's much to worry about. The lyrics in Still Life are at times ambiguous and your interpretation would be just that... your own.