Mikael, what songs are your most proud of?

godhead's lament, when, drappery falls, white cluster, by the pain i see in others, and finnaly death whisppered a lullaby
\they are just some of my faviroutes but i love EVERY SINGLE opeth song

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
It's quite difficult to say. Some songs are my faves because of a 3 second passage that just ties it all together so nice, like the song "Blackwater park" has a real smooth passage that I just think is fantastic! Other than that "Isolation years" and "Hope leaves" are my fave calm songs I guess. "Harvest" is really good too I think. That guitar solo is my best ever! If I may say so myself....

"Deliverance" is one of the ultimate Opeth songs I believe, "April ethereal" is nice..."The moor" definately has it's moments but the mix dropout is so annoying for me to listen to. "Benighted" is nice but solo's too low in the mix...overall "Still life" has too much reverb on the drums but the songs are killer...probably one of my fave Lp's! "Ghost of perdition" is definately up there although I remember at first listen I thought it was like a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas...love it now tho'!

From the very early material I'd have to say "Under the weeping moon" since we've been playing it a lot lately and...gosh, "The night and the silent water". I need to change my profile thingie on the webpage. This song is very emotional to play live, on record I don't really like it, but live it just kinda overflows with emotion. Makes my happy actually, I always believed in that song but was so dissapointed with the recording.

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

Thanks for responding Mike. Harvest was the first song I heard by you guys, and when I heard the solo, my immediate reaction was "I need more songs by these guys." Then I began getting as many Mp3's as I could find until I bought all of your albums. So yeah, you should definitely be proud of that solo. Deliverence too, is one of your greatest moments as a song writer if I may say so. Just the journey that song takes you on is incredible, absolutely astounding.

I'm glad that you have a renewed appreciation for The Night and the Silent Water, that was one of my favorite songs for a long time!

Man thats cool that band members actually respond to the fans on the board - thats really cool :excuse me if this happens a lot, ive only been in the opeth section for a little while:

I just got morningrise and damn that is impressive, nectar, advent, BRI, TNATSW - just unreal

In the midst... is also a very cool song

I agree about Still Life having too much verb on the drums. It really comes out at the start of 'Serenity Painted Death'. I mean, goddamn, haha.

Awesome to hear it's one of Mike's favourite LPs... I've probably been waiting years to hear that. My blind fanboyism towards it is semi-justified now :)

Also, it's an interesting thing about TNATSW. I never much liked it on record either... to be honest I never really cared much for the entire Morningrise album, but hearing that track played live was something else. Definitely very cool, and adds a new vibe to it almost. I think with your new, improved vocals, Mike, a lot of the older tracks are more stand-out than they were on the albums.

Man thats cool that band members actually respond to the fans on the board - thats really cool :excuse me if this happens a lot, ive only been in the opeth section for a little while:

I just got morningrise and damn that is impressive, nectar, advent, BRI, TNATSW - just unreal

In the midst... is also a very cool song

Nah you're right it is really cool, there isn't many bands that take time out to do this, just goes to further backup Mikael's personality.

Really? Warrel posts on the Nevermore forum... Muhammed posts on the Necrophagist forum... Swano posts on his forum... James Murphy posts on his forum... Andy Sneap posts on his forum.... do I need to keep going? :D

daz436 said:
Nah you're right it is really cool, there isn't many bands that take time out to do this, just goes to further backup Mikael's personality.

Since ive been into opeth, which is about 3-4 months i have really noticed how they differ from many other metal bands with their crowd interaction - expecially at their gigs, and indeed after their gigs where they take time to meet there fans and thats what its really all albout

so a big fuck yeh to Mike and the guys for being so cool :kickass:

Moonlapse said:
Really? Warrel posts on the Nevermore forum... Muhammed posts on the Necrophagist forum... Swano posts on his forum... James Murphy posts on his forum... Andy Sneap posts on his forum.... do I need to keep going? :D

Ah yeh true - also that dude from Lord - Lord tim - he has alot of interaction

It would be great if Opeth released a live CD of their first two albums - considering how powerful and tight they play these days.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
It's quite difficult to say. Some songs are my faves because of a 3 second passage that just ties it all together so nice, like the song "Blackwater park" has a real smooth passage that I just think is fantastic! Other than that "Isolation years" and "Hope leaves" are my fave calm songs I guess. "Harvest" is really good too I think. That guitar solo is my best ever! If I may say so myself....

"Deliverance" is one of the ultimate Opeth songs I believe, "April ethereal" is nice..."The moor" definately has it's moments but the mix dropout is so annoying for me to listen to. "Benighted" is nice but solo's too low in the mix...overall "Still life" has too much reverb on the drums but the songs are killer...probably one of my fave Lp's! "Ghost of perdition" is definately up there although I remember at first listen I thought it was like a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas...love it now tho'!

From the very early material I'd have to say "Under the weeping moon" since we've been playing it a lot lately and...gosh, "The night and the silent water". I need to change my profile thingie on the webpage. This song is very emotional to play live, on record I don't really like it, but live it just kinda overflows with emotion. Makes my happy actually, I always believed in that song but was so dissapointed with the recording.

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

After my 1st few listens of Ghost Reveries, I felt GOP was the song that best showcased the bands talent. To me, in a way, it was like the band was showing off all their skills. The rest of the the album sort of goes off in another direction. Great album Mike, you should be very proud.

Man I haven't listened to Harvest in a long time. I'll be playing it shortly & look forward to hearing the solo Mike mentioned.

Last of all I must completely agree that Deliverance is the ultimate Opeth song :headbang:

All Hail The Mighty Opeth !!!!!!

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike
So you started playing Under the Weeping Moon! Thanks for playing what I requested back in Feb 2004! I gotta get my lazy ass back to one of your shows.

I'd definitly have to say that Isolation Years is one of Mikael's best. It is just overflowing with emotion.

All of Opeth's song are great, but I beleive Deliverance, TDF, TLA, The Moor (as well as Moonlapse) April Etheral, and TNATSW live is really one of the greatest things i have ever heard.

I really like most of the songs off of Orchid, and i think In Mist She Was Standing really well, stands out. As well as Forest of October.

Overall, I can't really just decide on one song, or a small selection, it is too dificult.

Mikael sounds so intelligent and modest, so willing to critique his own work. I dont use the word genius loosely but in this case there's no doubt in my mind. The Moor has its moments? April Ethereal is nice? Such a perfectionist.

KFK

Kerry King said:
Mikael sounds so intelligent and modest, so willing to critique his own work. I dont use the word genius loosely but in this case there's no doubt in my mind. The Moor has its moments? April Ethereal is nice? Such a perfectionist.

KFK
akerfeldt > einstein

:)

(my fanboyism just grew by 150 points)

it's peter that has the physics degree anyway... i think