Mike Ness bashes hair bands!

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Well, I picked up the new SOCIAL DISTORTION dvd, "Live In Orange County". Social D is one of my favorite bands of all time...and Mike Ness has long been known for his badass reportoir...Anyway, I'm watching the thing and I had mixed emotions halfway through the show. Mike says something along the lines of "If it weren't for Joe Strummer we'd all be listening to Motley Crue! Where is Motley Crue now? WHere's Guns N Roses? Where's Little baby boy Poison? They're all gone, thank God!" On the one hand, I thought it was pretty funny. But on the other hand, those are some of my favorite groups of all time. MOTLEY CRUE/GNR, that is... I thought being "punk" meant being open minded and tolerant of other people's views...stuff like that...so it kind of shocked me that Mike Ness would diss some bands that maybe even a lot of his fans are fans of... Don't get me wrong. I could care less. I still love Social D and Motley Crue...it's all just rock n roll to me...but I was a little disappointed to see somebody who's made a living off of trying to rebel and then busting balls on a style of music that's diffenent than his own. Isn't that what all the folks in "society" are doing to the punks? Judging them because they're different? I dunno...it just hit me funny and I thought I'd post it. what do you all think? was he outta line???

Maybe I'm just more punk than I thought...
rarrrrrr
Ted

You have to remember "Punks" do not like other musical genre's that much.. much less hair bands or metal bands... bands of different genre's are always going off on other genre's so dont be surprised or disappointed... im sure some of the hair bands go off on other genre's .. besides one reason Punk rock started back in the 70's was to rebel against long haired "corporate rock" bands of the late 70's... the hair bands of the 80's were just a extention of those bands in Mike's view... nonetheless dont get upset over a bands views.. they have the right to their views.. just like their music regardles.. i myself love Social Distortion and my favorite album by them is the album of the same name "Social Distortion" ...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
You have to remember "Punks" do not like other musical genre's that much.. much less hair bands or metal bands... bands of different genre's are always going off on other genre's so dont be surprised or disappointed... im sure some of the hair bands go off on other genre's .. besides one reason Punk rock started back in the 70's was to rebel against long haired "corporate rock" bands of the late 70's... the hair bands of the 80's were just a extention of those bands in Mike's view... nonetheless dont get upset over a bands views.. they have the right to their views.. just like their music regardles.. i myself love Social Distortion and my favorite album by them is the album of the same name "Social Distortion" ...

Yep, I agree with this. Anyone remember the story about how Charlie and Scott almost got jumped back stage by a bunch of punks for having long hair and being in a metal band, Billy Milano warned them and saved their asses then agreed to join them to make the Speak English Or Die, album? :headbang:
Look at What spawned from that gloriouse day. S.O.D and M.O.D. I bow to Billy Milano...Now do the Milano Mosh :hotjump: