Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater!

Some will agree with me, some will say that it is rubish what i'm going to write. That band lost direction in 1994, when Kevin Moore had left the band. Excellent Images & Words and Awake were made by duo Petrucci Moore. When Moore had left, Portnoy thought that he possess same writing abilities as Moore, even put himself as a band leader. But that band has never been the same. Songs without good concept and profoundity, every now and then there were some exceptions. Portnoy has always thought that he is good writer. In my opinion he is great drummer, maybe one of the best, but as a writer, moderate. Many of his songs sound frivolous. For me, he was boring with his songs about his drunkard friends.

I read somewhere that he wanted to have leading role in OSI project, altough he didn't write any of those songs. Obviously he has high opinion about himself.

John Petrucci is different story and he is able to write good songs.
Who knows, without Portnoy's influence maybe now some things will change for better, maybe we will hear much better music, maybe not.
But i don't think that DT lost good writer, Portnoy isn't Syd Barret, he is only good drummer and that is all.

Some will agree with me, some will say that it is rubish what i'm going to write. That band lost direction in 1994, when Kevin Moore had left the band. Excellent Images & Words and Awake were made by duo Petrucci Moore. When Moore had left, Portnoy thought that he possess same writing abilities as Moore, even put himself as a band leader. But that band has never been the same. Songs without good concept and profoundity, every now and then there were some exceptions. Portnoy has always thought that he is good writer. In my opinion he is great drummer, maybe one of the best, but as a writer, moderate. Many of his songs sound frivolous. For me, he was boring with his songs about his drunkard friends.

I read somewhere that he wanted to have leading role in OSI project, altough he didn't write any of those songs. Obviously he has high opinion about himself.

John Petrucci is different story and he is able to write good songs.
Who knows, without Portnoy's influence maybe now some things will change for better, maybe we will hear much better music, maybe not.
But i don't think that DT lost good writer, Portnoy isn't Syd Barret, he is only good drummer and that is all.

I'm a big Dream Theater fan, I love all of their stuff (although some songs/albums are weaker than other ones...), and I'm a huge Mike Portnoy fan, but I don't disagree with anything you said here. I think you're right.

Hopefully this will put Dream Theater back on the right track. Here's to hoping!