Portnoy left DT

And yeah, DT is hard to get into. Im pretty sure everyone hated them when they first heard them.

I really liked them the first time I heard them. It was Under a Glass Moon.

They're not nearly as hard to get into as other less commercial prog bands.

And yeah, DT is hard to get into. Im pretty sure everyone hated them when they first heard them.

I loved them when I first heard them in 2002. It was The Glass Prison, and it blew me away. I went out and bought Six Degrees, and I still love that first disc (don't care too much for the second one). Little did I know that they would only release one more album that I really liked (Train of Thought).

Unlike many people, I never cared much for Scenes From A Memory. I was always a much bigger fan of Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian for their tastefulness, as opposed to Jordan Rudess's wank and terrible patches. I swear, that man could ruin the most beautiful of moments with some space orgasm patch...

I couldn't agree more.

I agree! I wish Symphony X would do it too. I can't stand the agressive style Russ is using now. It gets old real fast.

Gasp...sacrilege! Russel Allen's vocals are amazing whether melodic or aggressive. The fact that he can do both so well really speaks volumes about his virtuosity.

I tried very hard to get into Dream Theater. I know their very good musicians, but it never happened. I have some of their albums, l ike some songs, but....
Well, their music doesn't do much to me. I think much of it has to do with LaBrie's voice, which lacks power, beauty, whatever! Being a “metal” guy I prefer Symphony X.

I'm a metal guy too and I love Dream Theater. They are an acquired taste though.

I really liked them the first time I heard them. It was Under a Glass Moon.

That song and a few others start the chain reaction of other songs from the band that make you go from "wtf?" to "this is awesome" after repeated listens 95% of DTs songs are growers.

Yes, I really like Chroma Key. I have Dead Air For Radios. Great album. I also like OSI. Even though
I'm a huge metalhead, I love songs such as Space-Dye Vest. The DT lyrics Kevin wrote are some of my favorite songs.

Same, I don't like everything he puts out (and IMO he is a very mediocre vocalist), but overall he has some great ideas. I was listening to Graveyard Mountain Home recently, and I think it holds up pretty well.

kevin moore was great when he was in DT but OSI fucking sucks...

OSI is a good idea, but it's a real one-trick pony. Kevin Moore is good at picking sounds, but I think Jim Matheos has a lot more in him as a clever composer than he's allowed to show in that project. A bit of a waste, if you ask me.

OSI is a good idea, but it's a real one-trick pony. Kevin Moore is good at picking sounds, but I think Jim Matheos has a lot more in him as a clever composer than he's allowed to show in that project. A bit of a waste, if you ask me.

It might be cool of Romeo started a side project with Kevin Moore.

OSI has a few good songs, but I'm really not too enthusiated about them. Moore is quite an awful vocalist, but I guess they got their own style to utilize those unenergetic vocals. Still, I find the synth playing and sounds really good.

I loved them when I first heard them in 2002. It was The Glass Prison, and it blew me away. I went out and bought Six Degrees, and I still love that first disc (don't care too much for the second one). Little did I know that they would only release one more album that I really liked (Train of Thought).

Unlike many people, I never cared much for Scenes From A Memory. I was always a much bigger fan of Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian for their tastefulness, as opposed to Jordan Rudess's wank and terrible patches. I swear, that man could ruin the most beautiful of moments with some space orgasm patch...
Except for Sherinian (whom I hate with a passion), I feel the same way. The first disc of SDOIT is the last unconditionally good album they've made, with adventurous songwriting, great production and even some lyrics actually worth listening to. I also loved TOT for its vehemence although I did have most traits I dislike about modern DT in abundance.

As for SFAM, I never fully got it. The production and LaBrie's voice reached an all-time low with that album, I didn't really care for the story and most of the shorter songs just seemed like filler to me. Plus, "Through Her Eyes"... uuugh.