mike portnoy likes opeth

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Oh, and Portnoy lists his all-time favourite musician as Frank Zappa.

Much coolness there. He gets a double big \m/ from me.
Yes, that brought a huge grin to my face. :D

There are enough great Zappa albums and quotes to keep one entertained for an entire lifetime. :D

Hey guys!

I am pretty sure Steven Wilson turned the DT guys on to Opeth while they toured with them last year or whenever it was.
However, no I don't dislike Dream Theater. But I'm not so fanatic about them as I used to be.

I have all their albums and "Awake" and "Falling into infinity" + "Scenes" are all great albums. 2nd Cd too, but the cheese factor on that album is incredibly high with all the cheesy saxophone "Beach" sounding solos...still a good album.
The first I don't like so much because of the singer + the latest I thought was kinda un-happening. I've seen them live on every tour since "Awake" and that gig I can say was marvellous! Also on the "Scenes" tour they did a massive show in Stockholm. But last time I saw them they seemed tired and "old" almost. Especially in comparison with Pain of salvation which did a great gig. (I like them MUCH better live than on record)
I even left before the DT show had ended.

No, I am not as big a fan as I used to be but I'd guess I'm still a "fan", and I love John's guitar playing!
I'd like to see DT elaborate more with the sounds the got on "Falling"...I like the more mellow "Peruvian skies" type of songs.

Cheers
Mike

Originally posted by Mikael Åkerfeldt

2nd Cd too, but the cheese factor on that album is incredibly high with all the cheesy saxophone "Beach" sounding solos...still a good album.

:lol:

I was actually listening to that album last night.

Imagine Pertucci, Mike, Pete AND Mendez all bustin' out riffs on an album? ::brain overload:: :lol: That'd be one hell of a recording session. :lol: Oh, and when I read the title of this link, I thought of course he does...Lopez is a peddle pumping god!

I think they are somewhat revisiting FII a bit on the new one. The new one concentrates on songwriting and a relaxed mood (other than Glass Prison/Test That Stumped Them All) much more than SFaM. Stuff like Blind Faith (without the overt Rudess-isms...) and Misunderstood (without the feedback part) would've fit on FII.

Of course, SFaM is better, but no band could follow up something like that. Plus the billions of sideprojects couldn't have made for a concentrated writing session.

Originally posted by EvilGenius
DT=Dream Theater (prog metal gods for those who like 'em, and pretentious flop for those who don't)

yeah, really. I cant stand them honestly, though all of them are EXCILENT musicians. I saw them live to try and like them but fell asleep. Its too bad, too, cause as i said theyve got some great musicians just shitty music.