Mike was right..."OPETH is not a phase..."....!!!!!

the first time i heard them was demon of the fall, inn summer of 2001 methinks, annd recently i was fanatic, then i overplayed their songs i think, i still love their music, but i just dont listen to them as often anymore

Been into em for about 3 or 4 years now. Listen to Opeth everyday to keep me sane. Cannot get enough. Phase=never. Not with Opeth. Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Nevermore are probably the 3 bands that i have been listening to everyday for years, and i can't get enough of.

its not a phase just cuz u move onto different bands...

if you own all the cd's and have listened to them a million times each, thats good enough...

i dont listen as much as i used to. once a week at least tho...

i actually think ghost reveries is one their best albums now.

I have been listening to them for 6 years and it is still going strong, still among my top tree favorite bands.

Reactions: blood8815
I haven't pulled out an Opeth record since almost the release of Deliverence. I would say i still like them, i just don't listen to them hardly at all anymore. haha. I have most of the songs memorized after years of obsession, i think i can just think about it if i want to hear the songs.

I don't think I'll ever get sick of Opeth. GR is in my top 3 along with Still Life and MAYH.

I've been a fan for around five years now, and they're still my favorite band. I definitely don't listen to them as often as I used to, but I think they'll always remain my favorite.

I've thought about it and I do think it is a phase thing for most people. The thing is, with a band like Opeth, unlike someone you're embarassed about liking long after you've stopped listening, you'll sort of phase in and out over time. Sure, I've stopped listening to Opeth a lot less, and at this point in time they are no longer my favourite band, but maybe in a few months or years I will have another long phase of listening to them, and it is very likely they will be my favourite band again. I doubt any of you will say that Opeth have been your favourite, most played band for over 5 years or whatever (for the newer fans it's easier to say they are still your favourite).
At the moment Led Zeppelin are my favourite band, just like they were about 7 years ago, and they might be again in another 7 years. The situation is the same with Opeth

those of you who consider opeth to be a phase:

arent there still some songs that you pop in the cd for from time to time? for instance im sure im tired of hearing bleak (which was my fave track for a few years)...especially after i played it with a band and had to study the song and practice it a thousand times...however, i still cant get enough of...say "dirge for november." it has a simple, but dark as hell, crushing atmosphere and i love it...simply the best song about suicide. dont you guys have any songs of that kind for yourselves?

those of you who consider opeth to be a phase:

arent there still some songs that you pop in the cd for from time to time? for instance im sure im tired of hearing bleak (which was my fave track for a few years)...especially after i played it with a band and had to study the song and practice it a thousand times...however, i still cant get enough of...say "dirge for november." it has a simple, but dark as hell, crushing atmosphere and i love it...simply the best song about suicide. dont you guys have any songs of that kind for yourselves?

patterns in the ivy pt. 2
hours of wealth

thats it.

I heard BWP right before Deliverence came out. I liked it and felt this was a band I needed to hear from the begining. I d/l all of there stuff up to BWP. Orchid became an instant classic. It took me longer to get into Morningrise and MAYH. I then bought the rest and listened to them all in a row and determined that this band will never leave. I realize they change sound/members/evolve. All bands do it and each change IMO didn't make them weak or kill the band (metallica = best example Cliff Burton = soul of the band). They (Opeth) are a band that when they tour I will be there. When they release a cd I will buy it. Call me a fan boy if you want. I don't give a shit. Fact is they are more popular more than ever. And a lot of the "older" fans are jumping ship because they aren't "fresh", underground, or whatever. I listen to them because there is no other band like them...period. Even with the signing with RR. I felt GR brought in some elements not heard from them before. Which means if I am not mistaken are still evolving.

I started listening to Opeth about 1.5 years ago. I only played their stuff heavily for a few months - I was also getting into many new bands around that time. I still enjoy Still Life, etc., on occassion, though probably less than when I first heard it.