Mike was right..."OPETH is not a phase..."....!!!!!

This might be interesting - has anyone been listening to Opeth since Orchid came out ('95)? Then we can TRULY know if Opeth isn't a phase. 3 years is hardly a significant test and people go through phases over much longer time spans.

it was a phase for me w00t

I firmly beleive that if you listen to something over and over and over again, it will eventually get old and you'll grow tired of if and want to move on to something else no matter how good you thought it was or liked it in the beginning...For example, I've listen to the Pink Floyd albums so much I can't listen to them anymore...I've gotten all I can from them and I'm offically burnt out on them...well almost...

As far as the statement that "Opeth hasnt' changed since Still Life", I guess that's debatable, but even if they haven't, as long as the music is good I don't think it really matters if they've changed or "evolved" or not.

On a different note..does anyone know what their biggest selling album is to date? I'm guessing here because it's usually at the top to the sales rank at Amazon, but Damnation seems to usually have the highest ranking closely followed by BWP and SL and then Deliverence but it could be any of those or even GR...but it hasn't been out as long as the others so ???

As far as the statement that "Opeth hasnt' changed since Still Life", I guess that's debatable, but even if they haven't, as long as the music is good I don't think it really matters if they've changed or "evolved" or not.

It's actually not debatable. I kind of think the guy was joking, because if you can't hear the difference between Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries, you're deaf.

I got into my opeth phase just right after my Blink 182/Green Day Phase that was preceeded by my John Zorn phase & Ornette Coleman/ Coltrane phase that was also preceeded by my Michael Bolton / Journey / Styx/ Reo Speedwagon phase.

Now my Opeth phase is running its course and I can see the future for me :

Emo Phase
Screamo Phase
Ultra Brutal Grind Techno Death Phase

Good Night !

Also, Opeth is "Teh suck" since Ghost Reveries and the Roadrunner signing !

Bring back the 15 minutes songs where you cannot tell if its the beginning , the middle or the end of the first, second, third, fourth or fifth song of the album you are listening !!

Bring back tr00 grim forest production values where drums sound like Evil Bathory demos and Mike's vocals kult black metal vocal stylings !!!

BRING BACK TR00 FOREST BLACK METAL !!!!!!!

Roadrunner managers never go through Swedish or Norwegian forests hence the big turd of an album that Ghost Reveries was !!!

Stay Tr00 Evol Hadcore West Cost Niggaz !!!

Fo' Sho' !

I got into my opeth phase just right after my Blink 182/Green Day Phase that was preceeded by my John Zorn phase & Ornette Coleman/ Coltrane phase that was also preceeded by my Michael Bolton / Journey / Styx/ Reo Speedwagon phase.

Now my Opeth phase is running its course and I can see the future for me :

Emo Phase
Screamo Phase
Ultra Brutal Grind Techno Death Phase

Good Night !

Also, Opeth is "Teh suck" since Ghost Reveries and the Roadrunner signing !

Bring back the 15 minutes songs where you cannot tell if its the beginning , the middle or the end of the first, second, third, fourth or fifth song of the album you are listening !!

Bring back tr00 grim forest production values where drums sound like Evil Bathory demos and Mike's vocals kult black metal vocal stylings !!!

BRING BACK TR00 FOREST BLACK METAL !!!!!!!

Roadrunner managers never go through Swedish or Norwegian forests hence the big turd of an album that Ghost Reveries was !!!

Stay Tr00 Evol Hadcore West Cost Niggaz !!!

Fo' Sho' !

i cant make out where you are serious and where you are joking in that post.

I go through phases with all my music. Sometimes I'm in a Maiden phase, sometimes I'm in a Floyd phase, sometimes I'm in a Bartok phase... It depends on a lot of things, like my mood, the season, what's going on in my life. Some people enjoy listening broadly, others deeply. I tend to be of the latter variety.

Since I discovered them, I tend to phase back to Opeth every third phase or so, and I come back to them appreciating something new (usually related to the music I just phased out of). I tend to listen to all Opeth for a week or more, and then I slowly start to phase to something else.

Sometimes, I find myself trying to listen to something other than Opeth (because I've been playing them to death), hoping it will scratch the same itch it does, only to be disappointed. So, when I want to hear something like Opeth, but have been listening to Opeth a lot, I just listen to more Opeth. I haven't burnt out yet, though it certainly could happen. It did for me with Maiden for a long time. Now I can listen to Maiden every now and then, an album or two in a row at most.