Minor disaster at home...

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Computer died Wednesday. For real. Motherboard, dead.

I've had to borrow a few hundred euros to get a new one, it's only half-working so far (and that's a story and a half). Hard drive of the old one is fine, I just need to find the right cord to be able to access it from the new computer.

This happened the day before we were going to the bank to buy a place of our own. Typical.

Now things were already behind on the publishing front, but I thought the LotFP stuff would all be out at the end of the year as promised, going BAM BAM BAM BAM with quickly released issues in the coming months. Now it's extremely doubtful. It'll still happen of course, but very likely it'll be delayed a few (more) months. I have to pay this money back and my publishing activity was being financed by orders (which are always light) and... hehe... welfare money (if that doesn't compute with the third "paragraph," hey, I was surprised at what my wife could do as well). Paying back an unexpected debt out of that will hurt.

Here are the priorities on the publishing end, all of which is anti-profit work:

The RPG module. This is already SO late, and at this point I'm just waiting on the artwork to be completed. Once I have everything for it, it becomes #1 priority.

Then the next four LotFP issues.

Next year brings a return to the full-size magazine format, and I'm having some special artwork done for the 10th Anny issue (which will have a full color glossy cover), but the art's being done this fall and has to be paid for.

Then there's the first of the full-size mags next year (if it comes down to the worst, then this will be the 10th Anny issue, but the plan was to have two separate issues in that format out in 2008).

And then there's the trip to Germany in April. I will not miss that.

When I have all my files ready on this computer, I'll be introducing the Lifetime LotFP Subscription. 100€ (minus the cost of the Quintology if you've already bought that) gets you a copy of anything I ever self-publish in whatever format until the end of time. LotFP mags, RPG books, whatever. (POD publishing sadly will not be included in this - just things I print locally). If I publish through a company, I'll do what I can to get my comp copies sent to Lifetime Subscribers. All I can guarantee is that I plan on publishing stuff until I die and have no intention of making this 100€ a charity thing or a losing proposition as opposed to individually ordering whatever may come - in the long run, of course. Even when I "quit" in 04-05, there has never been a year that hasn't seen LotFP stuff published. I figure the number of people who will go for this will be very few, keeping me from eventually being buried in a pile of non-renewing commitments, but right now even one person going for it will help beyond belief right now.

I'm sorry to hear about computer troubles. The 100euro lifetime concept can come back and bite you in the ass in so many ways, which I guess you've considered, but still I feel an obligation to remind that being tied down to obligations (phantom or real) to produce things is a real mind-killer. You don't want to be indebted to anyone, regardless if they tell you 'no worries, I'm not breathing down your neck', you'll feel their breath there just the same.

I'm sorry to hear about computer troubles. The 100euro lifetime concept can come back and bite you in the ass in so many ways, which I guess you've considered, but still I feel an obligation to remind that being tied down to obligations (phantom or real) to produce things is a real mind-killer. You don't want to be indebted to anyone, regardless if they tell you 'no worries, I'm not breathing down your neck', you'll feel their breath there just the same.

Some people are already signed up for so many issues that it feels like I'm indebted forever anyway. :D

I gave this some thought, and I've limited this to five offers: That'll get me out of the hole and and a bit more besides. And I've offered a few things to give some up-front value as well.

Details: http://www.lotfp.com/lifetime.php

What kind of motherboard do you need? I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 just sitting here that I'd be willing to donate. It probably isn't what you need, but if your PC has an AMD Athlon socket 939 processor, it might do the job. I thought it was bad so I replaced it, but then I found out it was the processor. I'm pretty sure it works (I'd be willing to test it if it would work for you). PM me if it would work.