mIRC?

Silent Spirit

Sup Dudes!
Dec 5, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
Seeing that the Opeth board has about 30 people viewing right now (!), I thought I would ask you all if you use mIRC to trade mp3s and chat and stuff. I always download a few songs off of a CD before I buy it, but not everyone on Kazaa has the stuff I'm looking for (don't worry, I just bought Delieverance yesterday! :headbang:). So, noticing my predicament, my brother told me that there is a better way to get mp3s, on mIRC. So, are any of you familiar with that program? Is their one centralized channel for metalheads? Can anyone give me address or channel name?

I'm not exactly sure what you are reffering to...but anyway, the first time I ever downloaded MP3s was off mIRC, and I still do...you can find rare stuff in there if you look hard enough.

It's a lot more complex than either Kazaa or any other filesharing program, but I'll try to explain as much as I can:

1)Join any network (I usually log on to Undernet)

2)There are MANY channels devoted solely to sharing mp3s, and the only way I've found them is thru trial and error. I just type in variations of the word mp3, for example: #mp3rock #mp3metal #rockmp3 #metalmp3 Two of those are real channels...but anways, some really crowded channels are: #mp3cafe #mp3jukebox But they aren't particularly metal oriented.

3)Once you're in an mp3 channel, type the following: @find *name*of*band*or*album* For example, if you're looking for Opeth's Damnation, you'd type: @find *opeth*damnation*

4)IF someone has that file you seek, you'll get an automatic private message. Copy and paste the text from where it has and exclamation point until it says ".mp3" For example, if I were sharing Windowpane, you;d get a message from me that'd say: !Azogue-Opeth-Damnation-Track 01- Windowpane.mp3 or something similar....just copy from the ! mark till the filename.

5)Most people who serve mp3s leave their PC on all day, but they also have a LOONG queue of people trying to download stuff off them. In the private messages you'll get, you'll be able to see how many people are in queue to download something off that user. It'd say something like "Slots: 2/5 Que:35/99" That'd mean you'll have to wait a looong time. Try to download stuff off people with low numbers to the left of the slash , e.g Que: 1/50

6)Users who serve mp3s usually "advertise" some of the files they're sharing in the main room. If you notice someone is sharing something you might like, maybe they have the same taste in music as you...so you can check out a full list of all the files they're sharing. To do this, type @UserName, replacing "UserName" with the actual username of course. For example: @azogue

7)If all else fails, stick to kazaa lite, soulseek or Direct Connect. Direct Connect is a lot more efficient when it comes to download rare stuff...especially metal, but it's also somewhat complicated to use, and I'm tired of typing. If you're interested, download it off www.neo-modus.com

By the way, if you don't have mIRC, download it off www.mircx.com

8) "peace out"

mIRC is okay, but if you intend to make a permanent home, they're worse about newbies than any other chat-type environment (I suppose since it's been around so damn long)..

Azogue, you forgot to mention that typing your @find command will not be the same in every room, the search commands are different for every room basically and however they wanna set it up, just trying to keep the confusion down in case it doesn't work for Silent Spirit. Oh, EFnet is the most widely used server I think.

good Explaination Azogue. However: Instead of doing all this:
2)There are MANY channels devoted solely to sharing mp3s, and the only way I've found them is thru trial and error. I just type in variations of the word mp3, for example: #mp3rock #mp3metal #rockmp3 #metalmp3 Two of those are real channels...but anways, some really crowded channels are: #mp3cafe #mp3jukebox But they aren't particularly metal oriented.

just type "/list mp3" in any channel or sattus window and it will basically list all the channels with "mp3" in the name... Also, I think Dalnet is sometimes better.

But, you probably want Direct Connect if you're looking for most stuff that you'll find in the UM community, anyway.. it's much less of a hassle.

dalnet isnt better anymore, they have banned mp3 channels now. the biggest metal channel is #mp3_metal, or you could try #truemetalmp3 (my channel hehe :p). also you dont need to put *'s in your search term, the serving script automatically replaces spaces with *'s anyway. not that it matters if you do put them in...