Mirror of Souls - I Am continuation

FleshAndBloodTheocracy

Living Apple
Nov 19, 2009
Mon Valley, PA
So, Jesus fulfills three Old Testament roles: Prophet, Priest, and King.
A Prophet is the guy who brings about awareness of sin.
The Priest is the man who intercedes between you and God, for forgiveness of sins and answering of prayers.
And a King is someone who rules, sovereign.

Jesus, of course, fulfills all of these perfectly. Through the Holy Spirit, He convicts of sin. Through His death, He forgives sins (penal substitutionary atonement), removes sin (expiation), God's wrath (propitiation), and brings our prayers to the Father. And Revelation says He's preparing His kingdom for His return at which time He will destroy His enemies.

In Mirror of Souls, we see the role of the Prophet (The Mirror of Souls) and the Priest (The Stranger), but not the King because the song is primarily concerned with being an allegory of salvation.

But then I Am is Jesus speaking in the first person almost exclusively about His role as Creator and as King.

And I don't know i it was on purpose, but I thought it was cool that the last track of album 2 and the first track of album 3 tied in so nicely together.

Laying down $10 that you thought into this way too much and that's not actually what it's saying or representing.

I'm guessing that probably wasn't Matt's intent, but it's kind of a cool coincidence. Who knows ..... there might be something to it.

Ideas like this are always interesting to me. When I first started listening to Theocracy, I was a fairly recent convert, and there were things that went right over my head. While I didn't have trouble getting the message of the songs, my knowledge of the Bible and Christian theology was rudimentary at best, so I missed out on some of the allusions and deeper stuff. Today I'm still, as Alice Cooper once put it, "low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians," but I get a lot of stuff that I didn't before. I'll be listening to a song by Theocracy or some other Christian band and realize, "hey, they're referring to this or that passage." The other day I was reading a commentary on Isaiah and one part of it made me think of As the World Bleeds (the song). Things like that really enhance my appreciation for and enjoyment of the songs. :)