Been on a big Cavity kick. Perhaps not most innovative band, but one of the finest from the original crop of bands that popped up in the 90's when this was new and exciting.

This song pretty much epitomizes everything I love about this genre. Slow, torturous and oppressive. The break at about the 2 minute mark where they drive those chords into the ground is like being buried alive by a bulldozer. Amazing production, too. Hardly polished, yet still thick and full.

Reactions: Sophii and CiG
Ive been in a love-hate relationship with Sludge Metal in the last 2 years, but i always come back to my typicals, Acid Bath and Crowbar. But lately Dystopia has broken the mold for me and helped me break that. They aren't pure sludge, but they are undoubtedly sludge metal.

Reactions: CiG
Also been really digging Greenmachine's D.A.M.N. album. It seems they went in a more stoner direction after this which is a shame as this album is sludge proper.

Gotta start using those spoiler tags for this new page. That first page is lethal to every browser in existence (is punishment).

I fucking love early Greenmachine.

(Added spoilers to the previous page.)

Haven't been keeping up much with new sludge releases but Crust do have a new tune up on their Bandcamp which is pretty nasty:

And this new band named after the Meth Drinker song:

Some new Deadly Sin (Sloth) material:

Fistula have a new split coming out, no tracks yet, but this art is fucking guttery:

fistulaatwarwithpretensionLORES-1.jpg

Been on a big Cavity kick. Perhaps not most innovative band, but one of the finest from the original crop of bands that popped up in the 90's when this was new and exciting.

This song pretty much epitomizes everything I love about this genre. Slow, torturous and oppressive. The break at about the 2 minute mark where they drive those chords into the ground is like being buried alive by a bulldozer. Amazing production, too. Hardly polished, yet still thick and full.

Cavity are definitely one of my personal favourites, one of the oldest shirts I have that is still wearable is my Human Abjection shirt. It used to be a weird dark blue but it's fading pretty badly at this point. Most comfortable material ever though.

IMGP0105.JPG

Cavity are definitely one of my personal favourites, one of the oldest shirts I have that is still wearable is my Human Abjection shirt. It used to be a weird dark blue but it's fading pretty badly at this point. Most comfortable material ever though.

View attachment 18956
The vocalist is quite the character on stage. It's funny, he's a high school teacher and most of the comments are from his students just saying "THE SINGER IS MY TEACHER!".

@CiG not sure if you heard these guys, but they play like a beatdown form of sludge. Simplistic, head bashing sounding. They sound like a fucking bulldozer to me.

Don't mind them at all, the riffs remind me of Meth Drinker a bit and I remember thinking they'd be almost as good as them if they had a less shouty/more dismal vocalist, because they have the nasty groovy riffing and sludge swagger down pat.

They released a single last year that I blasted for a few days straight, sucks that it didn't lead to anything that year but I think I heard they have something in the oven for 2019. Not a huge fan or anything but of all the modern bands mixing sludge with metalcore/beatdown/hardcore they're probably one of the best at it.

Reactions: Sophii
I'll probably get chased out of town for the genre nitpicking, but is there such a thing as melodic sludge or is that just a contradiction? I'm aware of the the post-metal/atmo-sludge offshoot stuff like Neurosis/Isis/Cult of Luna. The closest I could think of that actually fits the mold is Cobalt's 'Slow Forever'. Or maybe shit like early Mastodon/Baroness/Kylesa? I've seen Conan or Bongripper called sludge but they're just really fucking heavy Stoner IMO.

Well, if you enjoy Kylesa it's mandatory that you check out their pre-Kylesa material under the name Damad. I don't know if I would call them melodic, though there is a sort of sense of melody in their sound akin to that transitional period for hardcore punk when it started to morph into melodic hardcore.

Besides that, I can think of a few bands going by what you've said that you might like:

Deadbird aren't straight up sludge metal but do kinda live on that border between stoner and sludge.

Thou are one of the better experimental sludge bands out there because when they get heavy they don't hold back, but they aren't afraid of being delicate and melodic etc.

This one doesn't really fit in with what you've described but it is often very melodic in its own way, and it mixes grungy melodic rock with death metal and sludge metal, basically the Acid Bath formula.

Let me know if any of those do anything for you man.

Also consider Canada's Soulstorm. The vocals are more of a grunge like style, and an industrial/apocalyptic sound to them.

Also this. Alabama Church Fire combines alternative country and southern gospel elements into really down tuned doom/sludge

Don't believe I've seen Tungsten get a mention. One of the first of the Louisiana bands, even pre-dating Crowbar, which is the closest sonic comparison. They really do sound a fuckton like early Crowbar. Think Obedience-Time Heals Nothing era. Drummer Mark Talamo even spent some time in the studio with Crowbar for their self-titled. Kirk can be seen rocking a Tungsten shirt in the "All I Had (I Gave)" video. Surprising then that their not mentioned much. They appear to still be active, thought haven't released anything since 2005. Three of their albums are on YT and come recommended to anyone who, well, likes Crowbar. No bullshit, pummeling metal with the occasional hardcore bit tossed in.

"]

"]

[

Just found these guys. Blend really angry screamo with down tuned sludge metal. Found it on rate your music in a list labeled "ultra sludge"