Mix crits please!

jakenolandood

New Metal Member
Feb 17, 2014
Hey dudes. I'm currently recording a band that tunes in drop A, and is still pretty riffy at times. I struggled with myself and kept second guessing how I was going to approach the mix. I've got it to where I think I like it, but I would greatly appreciate some outside input on how everything sounds before I commit and send it to the band.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Bring the drums a bit more upfront, back off on the guitars so the vocals can breath more. Right now I feel like its way too clamped down overall. The auto tune is very obvious. Drum tone is cool. Maybe also back off the distortion a tiny bit on the guitars. Drums could be a bit brighter.

That's just what I hear. Over all cool mix.

What drums are those?

I agreed about drums may be more in front a bit.. Guitars are perfect. Voxes sounds ok, but peronally i like it a more quiter.

Bring the drums a bit more upfront, back off on the guitars so the vocals can breath more. Right now I feel like its way too clamped down overall. The auto tune is very obvious. Drum tone is cool. Maybe also back off the distortion a tiny bit on the guitars. Drums could be a bit brighter.

That's just what I hear. Over all cool mix.

What drums are those?

Thanks so much man! The drums are just SSD4, no blending or anything. Guitars are pod farm.

So basically, you think if I back off on the guitar and bass volume, it will bring the drums forward and you think that would be a pretty cool balance?

I agreed about drums may be more in front a bit.. Guitars are perfect. Voxes sounds ok, but peronally i like it a more quiter.

Thanks man!! So another vote for louder drums! Man, I really thought my drums were almost TOO loud. This is why I needed some fresh ears.

I mean bring the drums up in volume, turn down the guitars a bit, like -1.5db, bass is good as it is. I feel the guitars are fighting the vocals a bit. If you turn down the guitars the vocals have more space. They actually are loud enough. Maybe push the master EQ a bit at 12k or 15k with a PulTec Style EQ. Just to give the overall a bit more shine. If the clean vocals are doubled maybe put a doubler on the doubled layer and turn it down 5db.

I mean bring the drums up in volume, turn down the guitars a bit, like -1.5db, bass is good as it is. I feel the guitars are fighting the vocals a bit. If you turn down the guitars the vocals have more space. They actually are loud enough. Maybe push the master EQ a bit at 12k or 15k with a PulTec Style EQ. Just to give the overall a bit more shine. If the clean vocals are doubled maybe put a doubler on the doubled layer and turn it down 5db.

Thanks a ton man, I'm going to try that right now and I'll probably post the resulting mix later to see what you guys think. I'm pretty happy with the feedback. My biggest concern was the relationship with the kick drums click vs the bass guitar's clank. Honestly I guess that kind of thing doesn't matter so much as long as it's heavy and mean. Sometimes I overthink the dumbest things.

Will post new mix soon!

Kickdrum sounds too heavy for me in the lows. It's overpowering a lot, why would you raise that volume as the guys suggest? I think the kit needs to be rebalanced, play the drums and the bass only and mix it, then bring in the guitars, then finally add the vocals in the mix (mute them when you mix the rest). But to be really honest. I would remix the whole track. it's not cutting it, if you are trying to compete with the "pro's". Good Luck with your new mix anyhow! Rock on