Mix down: real time or export function?

16S

all gods fail...
Apr 14, 2007
Reading, UK
I work in cubase and currently when i do a mix down or print a track i do this via the Export function.

Am i losing anything by doing it this way or should I be doing it real time? If so how? how would i bounce down to a wav??

I know...probably a noobish question...

I've been doing it in real-time lately due to the hardware GSSL I strap on the mix bus. You run the risk of drop-outs if you overload your CPU with other tasks... for instance web surfing while exporting. Learned that one the hard way. Apart from that it's all good. Go for the offline bounce if you aren't using any analogue gear.

There is a checkbox to tick when you go to Mixdown Audio. Should say 'export in real-time' or something of the like. It's not really hidden away.

real time.
there's talk of compressor plugins operating differently especially UADS when render faster than real time.

I asked James Murphy about this once before...there was a user on here that said basically that a track sounds "better" when bounced real-time, compared to offline bouncing. James said he felt the same way.

I'd say to do a mix export using both and a/b them, see if you can tell a difference, I'd imagine they'd probably sound very very close

I would just think that exporting not in real-time would be much easier on your cpu and cause a lot less chance for errors.

But, maybe it's not that simple.

Of course, it could depend on the DAW, what with the summing matrix and all that hooha that some believe is total BS (I have no opinion on the subject as I haven't the foggiest about the technical junk behind it!)