Mix down: real time or export function?

pretty odd that the verb was left...hmm...If it gets messed with on one form or the other, could a case be made that one technique seems to have more space or dimension than the other (since the reverb on one is more audible or something)?

Actually, that's a good point, SW, I should check that out. I haven't tried importing the bounced version back into Cubase to see if it's just the Cubase summing or what the deal is. Also very interesting what Nate says about the reverb, shouldn't it cancel everything out?

Actually, that's a good point, SW, I should check that out. I haven't tried importing the bounced version back into Cubase to see if it's just the Cubase summing or what the deal is. Also very interesting what Nate says about the reverb, shouldn't it cancel everything out?

That's what I'd think, too.

Did you import both files into a new session with nothing else in it?

Just want to make sure it wasn't an existing session and maybe you forgot to mute an FX track or something, lol...

people who try this out should bounce their vst's / drumagog tracks / plugins with randomized results

there are tons of vst's using randomization on selection of samples, it would make the out come different every time

this is also true for drumagog

...mmh... to me it's not that logical though. Upsampling should be done offline anyway, that's why you get different latency times with different plugs (among other things). ie: the UAD Pultec has upsampling and you can listen to it's result when using it in real-time.

Of course its true that upsampling can be done in realtime due to buffer size. But the plugins I mentioned all offer the possibillity to upsample only at downmix if you want it.
That's how I meant it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was because the reverb is randomised, not because one version has more than the other. Same thing happens with other effects such as flanger, phaser, etc.

well, i think joe nailed the thing about playing variations in plugins - they're designed to do exactly that, so as long as you don't have them frozen in different mix downs, you'll get differences.

now, all things being the same, an offline mix down shouldn't be any different to a live mix down, if you're using only VSTs.

i literally sighed when i read about UAD recommending you mix down in live - all the plugins are digital, long story short, the time base is arbitrary. either UAD are being audiophools or they're morons for not coding their plugins properly.

mixing down offline though, should make a difference to plugins that have a render mode (like the 8505, and impulse loaders). they run in best quality mode when in offline mix down, as opposed to lower quality higher speed in live playback.

these should be the only times (random playback for drums/other samplers, and HQ settings for offline mix down) in which a live mix down should sound different from an offline mix down.

UAD models hardware stuff, which is sometimes very susceptible to the amount of time it's being used and sound different just a couple of minutes after they've been turned on and even then, components shift state and respond different when being fed signal for a while. I know the LA2A model in Digital Performer 6 needs warming up because of this, they wanted to model it's behavior just like it would be if you had one in your rack, and they setup a function so that you could record the input stage at any given time so you wouldn't have to wait for the whole song to play just to listen to how that particular section would sound on mixdown. But if you reset the plug, (by disabling the track or messing with buffer settings or whatever) you need to "warm it up" again. Maybe... just maybe, UAD is doing something akin to this with some of their plugs. It would make sense.

UAD models hardware stuff, which is sometimes very susceptible to the amount of time it's being used and sound different just a couple of minutes after they've been turned on and even then, components shift state and respond different when being fed signal for a while. I know the LA2A model in Digital Performer 6 needs warming up because of this, they wanted to model it's behavior just like it would be if you had one in your rack, and they setup a function so that you could record the input stage at any given time so you wouldn't have to wait for the whole song to play just to listen to how that particular section would sound on mixdown. But if you reset the plug, (by disabling the track or messing with buffer settings or whatever) you need to "warm it up" again. Maybe... just maybe, UAD is doing something akin to this with some of their plugs. It would make sense.

Any plugin that acts like that is an instant fail for me.

Any plugin that acts like that is an instant fail for me.

a big +1...I could see going through it in the hardware world, as it's part of the deal, but for a software plugin to go through that seems completely dumb IMO. To me the convenience and idea of the plug is to capture the emulated hardware at it's best moment in time.

If people prefer the hardware's coloration at different intervals of it's "warm up" phases, then those could be preset rather than just winging it, hoping you find the sweet spot for your needs.

a big +1...I could see going through it in the hardware world, as it's part of the deal, but for a software plugin to go through that seems completely dumb IMO. To me the convenience and idea of the plug is to capture the emulated hardware at it's best moment in time.

If people prefer the hardware's coloration at different intervals of it's "warm up" phases, then those could be preset rather than just winging it, hoping you find the sweet spot for your needs.

I think so too. But I'm not making plugs I'm just offering a point of view. I find a good analogy is if you want a big name console sound you want it's sound you don't want to have 40 channels doing nothing if you are only using 8.