Mix update

Haha, that's funny I just read a book by a musician and he always tested mixes in his car too!

heard the same from different sources. I guess the reason is that most people (unless they are hip-hoppers) have better systems at home than in their car. The point is that everything can sound great on a 150.000$ - system, but does it still sound good on an average stereo and not under the best circumstances? That´s where the "listening to records in your car" comes in.
Of course not every fine detail will then still be there, but it´s still worth putting it on CD for the overall sound and the manics with headphones ;)
So the record should sound great on a decent stereo and equally deliver enough feeling and more than average quality on a crappy system.
If it only sounds great when you hear it at the recordcompany-prelistening and later never again, then something was wrong.

All of my mixes get the car test...as well as the living room system test, the shitty boombox test, the bedroom stereo test, and the friend's car test as well.

And don't forget, the crappy Walmart headphones test.

It's all in the name of getting that right mix that makes the hair on your arm standup...