Mixer for $750 - $1000 with the best pre's?

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
What mixer/console would you guys suggest in the $750 - $1000 price range (less is also acceptable...:cool: ) that would provide the best sound quality and at least 8 mic pre's? I'm trying to gather opinions, and I'm hoping to find somehting with some good onboard mic pre's.

I've looked at mizers like the Mackie 24/8, and I've also heard good things about the Tascam DM-24. I was curious about the Mackie VLZ-1604, but the last few people I talked to seemed to think the mic pre's were horrible in that unit. Any suggestions?

I have a Mackie CR1604 VLZ Pro. The pres aren't bad. They're pretty unremarkable, but useable enough. The EQ can get real harsh real quick, though. I've heard that the Mackie 8-bus series has, oddly enough, lower quality pres than the VLZ boards, though I haven't compared the two side by side.

The new Mackie Onyx, from what I've heard, is supposed to be quite a noticeable step up in both the mic pres and EQ from the VLZ series.

In that price range, Soundcraft and Allen & Heath both make 16-channel boards around the $1k range new that are supposed to have good quality pres- better than Mackie, at least. Though the Onyx is supposed to be comparable. I suppose it's preference at that point- Onyx, Soundcraft, or A&H.

What are you recording to? 'Cause depending on your setup, you could always take a look at mic pres/channel strips, perhaps in combination with a small console. IIRC, Rane makes a small budget mic pre- the MS1B?- that James Murphy and the guys at Morrisound thought highly of. The M-Audio DMP3 seems to be very well respected among inexpensive preamps, Joemeek makes a small channel strip (pre/comp/eq) that has a good repuation for guitars and vocals. There's always the Focusrite Octopre (with comps on each channel) or Octopre LE (no comps) that's in your price range as well.

You could always get a really nice sounding mid-price pre- Groove Tubes Brick , FMR RNP, used Grace 101- and combine that with something like an Octopre or a small mixer for your other channels. Use your best channel for vox, main guitar tracks, bass, etc. and the rest for drums, additional guitar mics, and such.

Don't be afraid to go used, either. I wonder if you can get a (smaller) used Soundtracs Topaz in the $1k range? Those are supposed to be good boards.
$750-1k can put together a decent setup if you can find the right gear at the right price.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

I'm currently using a Presonus Firepod (and it's mic pre's) into my PC (3.1 Ghz P4 w/2 GB of RAM) and using one of a couple different DAW's for recording. Lately, I've actually been gravitating more towards Adobe Audition 1.5 for the most use. All the mixing is taking place ITB.

The reason I was looking for a decent mixer was because I plan on possibly trying to upgrade sometime soon. What I was looking at doing was selling the Firepod and probably picking up a mixing console that has some pretty good pre's in it for the money. The plan was to possibly pick up something along the lines of a MOTU 1224 or MOTU 2408 to un the board into, and then purchase a converter upgrade like a Lucid AD9624. Then, once I've got my system to that point where I have more flexibility, I can start upgrading piece by piece agian later on...another board upgrade, another converter upgrade, adding some higher end pre's, etc.

talking of outboard pre's.....AGAIN...anyone have any thoughts on the TL audio 5051? orr focusrite twintrak pro? i looked up reviews for both of these, and the tl audio seemed to get a better write up, but i dont think you can beat the opinions of people that have actually bought them and use them. its basically cos at the moment im using like a 12 year old fostex desk, which is a little noisey..i mean the quality of my recordings are OK, but id just perhaps like to spice it up a bit..and until i can afford a distressor, i thought it might be cool for kick/snare/vocals? if anyone has any suggestions or anything . would be most greatful. also with the sennhieser md421, what do you find the biggest difference in sound quality? like most people seem to recommend them particularly for toms..just wondering what makes them great. :) thanks

Frankie said:
talking of outboard pre's.....AGAIN...anyone have any thoughts on the TL audio 5051? orr focusrite twintrak pro? i looked up reviews for both of these, and the tl audio seemed to get a better write up, but i dont think you can beat the opinions of people that have actually bought them and use them. its basically cos at the moment im using like a 12 year old fostex desk, which is a little noisey..i mean the quality of my recordings are OK, but id just perhaps like to spice it up a bit..and until i can afford a distressor, i thought it might be cool for kick/snare/vocals? if anyone has any suggestions or anything . would be most greatful. also with the sennhieser md421, what do you find the biggest difference in sound quality? like most people seem to recommend them particularly for toms..just wondering what makes them great. :) thanks
The toft stuff is worth a look if you want a channel strip in that price range. The eq sounds great IMHO.

egan. said:
The toft stuff is worth a look if you want a channel strip in that price range. The eq sounds great IMHO.

I had a toft audio atc 2 for 1 week and the eq was nice. the compressor was also nice but i sort of prefer the really nice compressor (its cleaner). The preamp was allright but nothing fancy imho. I didn´t like the compressor of mindprint envoice mk2 and the one in avalon 737 just doesn´t compress.

I have an older version of this Allen and Heath board and I love it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/634105/

I use the pres direct into a Delta1010 and it's been a good setup for the money over the last few years. One caveat is that the channel direct outs on the older versions are POST FADER, but you can mod that if you need to. Not sure if they switched that on the new version.

In your price range I would go with either an Allen and Heath, a Mackie Onyx (not VLZpro), or maybe a Soundcraft M Series if you want to save a little money for something else.